broadbandchoices.co.uk (the "Website") is a trading name of Decision Technologies Limited (Company Number 05341159) whose registered address is First Floor, High Holborn House, 52-54 High Holborn, London WC1V 6RL ("we", "us", "our", or "DTL").
The information we collect
We may collect and process personal information about you, which you give to us when you use our Website. The type of personal information we collect will vary depending on the services you are using on our Website:
- your name, email address, current broadband supplier and other personal information if you register with us to access one of our tools (for example our Speedtester) or to receive our email newsletters;
- your postcode if you perform an availability check for broadband suppliers available in your area;
- your email address if you enter a prize draw or competition;
- more detailed personal information if you place an order for home phone services through our sister website homephonechoices.co.uk; and
- if you contact us (for example our Online Help Desk), we may keep a record of your email address and that correspondence and any information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website.
The provision of some of our services may also require us to store some personal information. We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for longer than is necessary.
Purposes for which we use your personal information
We may use your personal information:
- to monitor and improve the performance of our Website and services;
- to carry out research and analysis of the broadband, phone or digital TV marketplace;
- to provide you with emails and newsletters and special offers if you register with us;
- to provide an availability check of specific broadband, home phone or TV services in your area;
- to fulfil our obligations if you enter a prize draw or competition;
- to process a transaction between you and a third party which you have requested;
- to respond to an enquiry you have made;
- to prevent fraud and defend our legal rights; and
- as more fully detailed, below.
Improving our services
So that we can continually improve our Website and services, we may use your data to perform statistical analysis to help understand how people are using our services. On occasions we may ask you for feedback on your experience of using the Website. Unless otherwise stated, this information is only used internally and will not be published on the Website.
Research and analysis
We may use your data to perform research and analysis to better understand the geographic coverage and use of broadband, phone or digital TV services in the UK. Some of the results of this research may appear in articles and features on our Website and other media but it will not include your personal information in any such results and we will not disclose any user's email address or any level of personal information that would enable any third party to contact or identify a particular individual (for example a full name and full area of residency).
Informing you of special offers and services which may be of interest when you register with us
We would like to keep you updated, by email or text, of other products and services which we feel you may benefit from or which you have specifically indicated that you have an interest in through our registration process.
We engage a third party email technology partner to help us coordinate and manage our email newsletters. They may process and store your personal information on our behalf in their systems subject to strict compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998. They will not contact you directly or share your personal information with any third parties.
We may obtain additional personal information from third parties to enable us to improve the relevance of our communications to you.
You can easily unsubscribe from our emails at any time, either by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any electronic correspondence (may take up to 7 days to take effect); or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may use your email address to identify if you are a registered Facebook user and then show you interesting, relevant ads through Facebook.
You can stop receiving these ads at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
Broadband and home phone availability check
If you carry out an availability check on our Website, we use your postcode for the purpose of carrying out that check.
Different providers supply services to different parts of the country and this is determined by postcode. The postcode check is essential to find out which providers and home phone and broadband services are available in your postcode area.
Testimonials, case studies, prize draws and surveys
We may republish comments and testimonials sent to us by our users when they provide information by way of Case Study application forms and survey responses We may republish the name and town of residence of a prize draw winner. These comments and testimonials may appear in articles and features on our Website and other media. The details of prize draw winners may appear on our Website and other media. We will not disclose any user's email address or any level of personal information that would enable any third party to contact or identify a particular individual (for example a full name and full area of residence). If you do not want us to republish any comments or testimonials or details then this should be clearly indicated and we will comply with your request.
Fulfilling an order you have placed
If you place an order for a service with a third party on our Website (for example a broadband order) then we will collect your personal information and provide this only to that third party to facilitate the transaction you have requested.
Online Help Desk and Ask our Expert enquiries
We may republish extracts of emails sent to our Online Help Desk or Ask our Expert service in articles and features on our Website and in other media. We will not disclose any user's email address or any level of personal information that would enable any third party to contact or identify a particular individual (for example a full name and full area of residency). If you do not want us to republish any extracts from correspondence then this should be indicated in the body text of the email and we will comply with your request.
Disclosure of your Information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if DTL or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
Any financial transactions are secured by SSL encryption to offer secure communications of sensitive data to and from the Website.
However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Third-party providers' and third-party websites' personal information policies
We will not share your personal data with any third parties so that they might try to communicate with you except for the express purpose of fulfilling our obligations as detailed above.
We link to third party websites from our Website. We cannot be held responsible for the uses to which any third party puts your personal information once you have left our Website.
A cookie is a small text file that is sent by the web server of the website you visit to your web browser and is stored on your computer. Cookies provide a number of functions in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of websites (e.g. cookies can identify if you have previously visited or registered with a website).
Data processing and data control
DTL acts as both a data processor and a data controller within the meaning of the Data Protection Act 1998 with respect to handling your personal information.
DTL acts solely as a data processor where it facilitates orders for products and services placed through our Website.
In the following instances, DTL acts as a data controller:
- monitoring and improving the performance of our Website and services;
- carrying out research and analysis of the broadband, phone or digital TV marketplace;
- providing you with emails and newsletters and special offers if you register with us;
- providing an availability check of specific services in your area;
- fulfilling our obligations if you enter a prize draw or competition;
- responding to an enquiry you have made; and
- preventing fraud and defending our legal rights.
You have certain rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and you can contact us to ask whether we are keeping, processing or storing personal data about you, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the Data Protection Officer at Decision Technologies Limited, First Floor, High Holborn House, 52-54 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6RL.
If you ask us to delete, correct or amend your personal data we will do so.