Looking for a provider that does the works, but keeps things simple? That’s TalkTalk (www.TalkTalk.co.uk) to a tee.
Looking for TalkTalk Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals? Take a look at our Cyber Monday page.
What can I get from TalkTalk?
Every package comes with a TalkTalk router, the Talk2Go app, which lets you make calls from your mobile at landline rates, and HomeSafe network level security, which can be set to block sites known to contain viruses, or prevent younger users from accessing inappropriate content.
Here’s what’s available:
TalkTalk broadband and TV bundles
If you want TV, broadband and phone services all together, TalkTalk’s a great way to get that at a low price. It’s based around the YouView set top box, which combines Freeview TV with streaming on demand services and catch-up TV.
What’s more, all TV packages include TalkTalk’s TV2Go app. This is free to download on iOS and Android, and lets you watch on demand content, and some live channels, on your smartphone or tablet - though you’ll need a Wi-Fi connection to use it.
You have four TalkTalk TV options:
- Plus TV: gives you a YouView+ box, which lets you pause and rewind live TV, and record up to 200 hours. Also includes seven Sky entertainment channels, including Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts, unlimited broadband, and inclusive anytime calls to UK landlines. TalkTalk also gives you a free mobile sim, which gives you 100 minutes, 250 texts and 200MB data a month.
- Plus TV and Fibre: As above, but with superfast fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 38Mb or 76Mb - perfect for large families with lots of gadgets, streaming movies and TV, playing and downloading games and more.
- Essentials TV: a YouView box that lets you pause and rewind TV up to 30 minutes, up to 17Mb broadband, unlimited downloads, inclusive evening and weekend calls.
- Essentials TV and Fibre: The same as above, but you get superfast fibre optic broadband. You can choose between two options: download speeds of up to 38Mb or TalkTalk’s fastest 76Mb package.
One great thing about TalkTalk TV is that it’s flexible. If you want extra channels, Sky Sports or Sky Movies for example, you can get what TalkTalk calls a ‘TV Boost’. These are available on a rolling monthly basis, so if at any point you decide you don’t want those channels anymore, you can simply cancel them.
TalkTalk TV also has tons of on-demand content, including catch-up from major Freeview channels, movies, box sets and more. You can get Netflix too, and even work the subscription for the streaming movie service into your monthly TalkTalk bill.
For a full lowdown of what you can get with TalkTalk TV, check out our complete guide.
TalkTalk Simply Broadband deals
It isn’t too hard to guess what you get with a SimplyBroadband package. It’s pretty much what it says on the tin. You have three basic options:
- Simply Broadband: Up to 17Mb broadband with unlimited monthly downloads, and free calls to TalkTalk customers, with option to upgrade phone plan.
- Fibre Medium: Superfast fibre optic broadband with speeds up to 38Mb, and no download limits. Also includes free calls to other TalkTalk customers, with option to upgrade phone plan.
- Fibre Large: TalkTalk’s fastest broadband. Gives you download speeds up to 76Mb, unlimited downloads, and free calls to other TalkTalk customers, with option to upgrade phone plan.
For added peace of mind, you can also add on the TalkTalk SuperSafe Boost, which adds internet security, including virus protection, for up to five devices in the home.
Phone plan add-ons
If you regularly use your home phone, you may also want to add a call plan to your package. TalkTalk gives you two options:
- Anytime UK Calls Boost: inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobile phones, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Bear in mind, you’ll have to pay standard rates if a call lasts more than 60 minutes, so remember to hang up and redial if you’re the super-chatty type.
- International Calls Boost: inclusive anytime calls to landlines and mobiles in 53 countries, including France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Australia, Canada and the USA. You also get discount call rates on some countries not included in the plan.
Check out our guide to TalkTalk phone for the details.
As if broadband, TV, and home phone isn’t enough, TalkTalk has thrown its towel into the mobile ring too, making it one of the UK’s few ‘quad-play’ providers. As a TalkTalk customer, you can get an ‘All-in SIM’ plan - it’s SIM only and gives you unlimited calls, texts, and data, on a rolling 30-day contract that you can cancel at any time.
However, it’s not available as a phone deal on its own - only as part of a bundle with broadband and phone (and TV if you want that too). If you’re a current TalkTalk customer you can grab a SIM whenever you want, but if not, the only way to get one is to sign up to one of their broadband packages.
Read more about All-in SIM in our guide to TalkTalk mobile.
What’s good about TalkTalk?
- Specialises in simple and affordable broadband and TV packages
- One of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK
- Unlimited broadband - perfect for large families or heavy users who want peace of mind that they can use the internet as much as they like.
- Superfast fibre packages perfect for streaming movies and TV online, downloading music, and gaming.
- Most flexible TV package in the UK - can add extra channels on a monthly basis, and cancel extras at any time.
- Sky channels, including Sky One, Sky Arts and Sky Living included with Plus TV packages, or as a monthly add-on otherwise.
- Sky Sports, and Sky Movies available as add-ons
- Can access Netflix, and subscription can be included as part of your TalkTalk bill if you wish
- TV2Go app included with all TV packages - lets you watch on-demand content and some live channels on smartphone and tablet (requires Wi-Fi connection)
- Talk2Go app included with all TalkTalk packages - make calls from your mobile at cheaper landline rates
- Free mobile sim, with 100 minutes, 250 texts and 250MB data a month, with Plus TV package.
- One of the best value unlimited mobile plans available in the UK
- HomeSafe network-level security included as standard with all broadband packages - blocks sites known to contain viruses, and restricts access to adult material you may not want your kids to see
- Special offers and exclusive deals regularly available
What’s bad about TalkTalk?
- TalkTalk fibre optic broadband is unavailable in some areas - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media or Hyperoptic
- TalkTalk TV has fewer channels than Sky or Virgin Media
- Mobile plans only available if you're a broadband and home phone customer
- Not a lot of choice when it comes to mobile - casual mobile users may be able to save money with monthly allowances or pay-as-you-go plans from other providers
- Can’t record TV with TalkTalk TV Essentials package
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom customer satisfaction data