Is the new iPhone anything special?
Katie (@blondeminniekt) on Twitter
Our expert Kim says...
We got a question from Twitter user @blondeminniekt, who wants our thoughts on the new iPhone.
Oh boy, it's special all right, Katie.
It may not be a huge step up from the last iPhone, but the iPhone 7 has some rather special features that we haven't seen on one before.
Here are the main ways in which it's different from other iPhones:
- There's no headphone jack
- You can get it in a cool black colour - including a glossy black if you're so inclined
- It's water resistant
- It has a better camera - especially the 7 Plus, which has two lenses on the back - and the selfie camera on the front has had its specs bumped up too
- Battery life is the 'longest ever' on an iPhone, according to Apple
- The headphone jack has been scrapped
- Apple's most powerful mobile processor, the A10, is included
- Some users have reported a hissing sound from the processor
- It has stereo speakers
- You can't plug headphones into it, because the headphone jack has gone
- Internal storage goes up to a huge 256GB - the most you can get on a smartphone right now
- It does not have a headphone jack
- It's more expensive than ever
Other than that, it's pretty much identical to the ol' iPhone 6s that came out last year.
If want the latest and most powerful iPhone, I'd say the 7 is special enough that it's worth getting - there are some features here, like the cameras, speakers, and storage, that are unmatched in previous models. The iPhone 7 Plus is unquestionably the best iPhone yet in terms of raw specs and features (just look at that double camera lens, mm-mm), and the fact that both are water resistant is a huge, huge boon.
However… that missing headphone jack can be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. If you're one of them, you'll be happy enough with a 6s or a 6s Plus, quite frankly - the 7 isn't quite special enough that I'd recommend completely changing your audio habits just to accommodate it.
Think you might get one anyway? Have a gander at our full guide to the iPhone 7 for all the info you need along with our favourite deals.
Or just compare all iPhone 7 deals directly with our mobile comparison tool right here.
Not a fan? Check out our pick of the very best iPhone deals this month, on every iPhone you can get.