While Shell is best known as an energy supplier, it also offers superfast broadband and phone packages, too. Here’s everything you need to know…
Shell Energy might be one of the newest broadband suppliers on the block, but it’s already mastered the art of keeping things simple; it offers just three packages, and unlike other big name suppliers, it won’t charge you any setup costs – which can sometimes add up to a small fortune.
Additionally, there’s often gifts like high-tech gadgets and laptops on offer, plus existing customer deals and further reductions for its energy customers, too.
Here’s everything you need to know
Although Shell Energy Broadband packages aren’t the cheapest around – for that, you’re better off looking at providers such as Plusnet or Direct Save Telecom – generally, prices match the market. And when you consider the fact that if you’re an existing Shell Energy customer you may even get further discounts, it isn’t a bad option.
Shell Energy broadband review
Naturally, when choosing a broadband package, you’ll need to think about speed. Like most UK suppliers, Shell Energy Broadband offers different speeds to suit different users and households.
For example, its fibre packages are pretty quick, so are ideal if you spend a lot of time online, or are a part of a large household that usually has several different devices on the go at the same time
- Fast broadband - gives you average download speeds of 11Mb and unlimited downloads. Ideal for small households of one or two people who only browse the internet occasionally, use social media and watch the odd show on iPlayer or Netflix.
- Superfast fibre – offers superfast download speeds - average 35Mb - with unlimited downloads. Because it’s fibre optic, it's faster and more reliable than the package above, and ideal for browsing, streaming video in HD, and downloading music.
- Superfast fibre Plus - gives you average download speeds of 63Mb with unlimited downloads. If you use the internet a lot, or live in a household with multiple people logging onto the web at once, it’s well worth a look.
Downloads and traffic management
All Shell Energy Broadband packages come with truly unlimited downloads, so you won’t have to worry about incurring any nasty charges at the end of the month.
Moreover, it doesn’t operate traffic management, so your speeds won’t be affected during peak hours either.
All Shell Energy Broadband packages come with the single band Technicolor TG588v2 router. Although it’s fairly basic – especially when compared to the premium routers some other providers offer – it’ll do the job just fine.
That said, if you do want a router with higher specs you can buy a new one, or use the one from your previous supplier – providing they’ve let you keep it, of course.
Generally, Shell Energy Broadband scores positive customer support reviews on sites like Trust Pilot, with most customers happy with the way their queries and concerns were dealt with.
Shell Energy home phone
All Shell Energy Broadband packages come with pay as you go calls as standard, and you’ll pay a set rate per minute for calls to a landline or mobile.
But if you talk on the phone a lot, or have friends or relatives living overseas, you can add one of the following call tariffs to your broadband package:
- Evening and Weekend Calls Package – gives you inclusive calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, plus calls to UK mobiles from 7pm to 7am Monday to Friday, and from midnight Friday to midnight on Saturday.
- Anytime Calls Package – includes inclusive calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers and to standard UK mobile numbers any time of day.
- International Calls Package – gives you 600 minutes to landlines and 75% discount on calls to mobiles in 40 countries. Countries include: Australia, Austria, Azores, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Canary Islands, Croatia, China, Cyprus (South), Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and finally the USA.
Extras and perks
As we say, one of the most impressive things about Shell Energy Broadband is that it won’t charge you a penny for installation. And you’ll also get some great perks if Shell is your energy supplier – like £50 off your bill, for instance.
Lastly, Shell also says it won’t hike your broadband price at the end of your minimum contract, so you can be rest-assured that you won’t end up paying over the odds once your contract is up.
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
Like the sound of Shell Energy Broadband? Take a look at all the current deals it has on offer by clicking the button below.