Get ready to break out the 2010-era bangers, because LG is releasing a new phone and it’s called the G6. Here’s everything you need to know about it.
Release date and price
Release date: April, probably - there's no exact release date right now. Korea will get it on 9 March, and the US will get it in the first week of April, so a European release should follow shortly.
Price: Somewhere around £500. Contract deals will be available to spread out the cost, of course.
Design and display
The first thing you'll notice is that the G6 has a 5.7-inch, QHD (Quad HD) display, with a 18:9 ratio (2880 x 1440 pixels) - making it unusually tall for a phone. That ratio also means it can be divided into two perfect squares, which is a) pretty odd and b) useful for multitasking two apps at once.
As for the design as a whole, LG has ditched all the fancy bits from old G-range phones and gone for a sleek, more mainstream design. We're talking super slim bezels around the screen, real metal edges, and either a glossy glass or shiny metallic back. And as per usual, the home button and fingerprint sensor are on the back of the phone too, just under the rear camera.
What about Friends?
Friends are gone. The G6 is Friendless.
The whole 'sort of modular, but not really' concept wasn't as popular last time around as LG hoped, so the LG G6 has gone back to serving standard flat slab realness. Farewell, Friends.
The G6 also has…
- UX 6.0, the Android overlay the company always uses on its phones - with a few notable improvements
- Heat pipes, to make sure the battery doesn't overheat - it isn't an LG Note 7, after all
- Fantastic audio, thanks to a Quad DAC converter
- A waterproof body, so you don't need to stock up on rice any time soon
- A HDR-compatible screen
- Quad-core Snapdragon 821 chipset
- 32GB or 64GB storage, and a huge 4GB of RAM
- Dual 13MP rear camera lenses with laser autofocus
- A 3,300mAh battery with fast charging
For deals on the LG G6, watch this space!