Ever noticed that TV shows seem to recycle a lot of episode titles? A bunch of nerds over at TV Tropes have made the ultimate list of ‘stock episode titles’ for telly, and boy do they all look familiar.
The most common of all is 'Pilot' (or 'The Pilot) - which TV Tropes have left off the list, since it isn't a real title - that logged 1715 instances. Next up was 'Finale' or 'The Finale', which 255 shows chose to use for their last episode.
'Reunion' / 'The Reunion' is pretty common too, probably because of its prolific use in reality TV - the show Survivor alone used it about five times, TV Tropes notes.
Here's the top 20:
1. Finale / The Finale - 255 episodes
2. Reunion / The Reunion - 217
3. Wedding / The Wedding - 164
4. Homecoming / The Homecoming - 146
5. Lost and Found - 138
6. Lights, Camera, _____! - 126
7. Runaway / The Runaway / Runaways / The Runaways - 122
8. Alibi / The Alibi - 118
9. Double Trouble - 111
10. _____ to the Rescue - 104
11. Halloween - 104
12. Legacy / The Legacy - 103
13. Second Chance / Second Chances - 100
14. Party / The Party - 96
15. Witness / The Witness - 90
16. The Gift - 91
17. Hero / The Hero - 84
18. Secrets - 78
19. Trapped - 75
10. Great Expectations - 74
Others that didn't quite make the cut include 'A Family Affair', 'The Trial', 'The Aftermath', and 'Home'. So… even more clichés.
The Independent commented: "Sometimes, TV showrunners aren't the most imaginative of people especially when - after spending months putting together a series - they have to name each episode… Come on, showrunners, you can do better."
Take a look at the complete list over on TV Tropes.