Sign up for a BT home phone and you'll get good call rates, competitively priced line rental and nuisance call-screening free of charge. But what else has it got to offer?
What can I get from a BT phone line?
BT offers three basic home phone deals to choose from, all of which include BT Caller Protect, 1471 and Caller Display free of charge.
The only difference between BT's three home phone deals is that the two more expensive packages include a monthly calls allowance, while the cheapest package is pay-as-you go.
Pay as you go - Ideal for light users because you only pay for the calls you make, plus standard landline rental. Which stood at a shade over £20 per month at the time of writing.
700 minutes - Gets you 700 minutes a month for anytime calls to UK landline numbers or UK mobiles. At the time of writing, this was priced around £27 per month.
Unlimited minutes - As the name suggests, this includes unlimited calls to UK landlines or UK mobiles. You'll also get 1,000 minutes of free calls to BT Mobile phones. There are no time of day restrictions on this plan and the monthly charge at the time of writing was just over £35 per month.
BT home phone add-ons
For a little bit extra each month, you can add additional services or extra calls packages. BT's range of add-ons include:
- Friends & Family International - Offers cheaper calls to 236 international destinations.
- International Freedom - Free calls to what BT denotes as 'popular international destinations' and cheap calls to other countries.
BT Premium phone
BT's Premium phone package includes three cordless home phone handsets for a one-off charge of £120. The phones are equipped with a range of features that set them apart from standard handsets, such as:
- Dedicated block buttons, so it's easy to block nuisance callers
- Option to bar outward calls to premium numbers
- Hands-free speaker
- Three-way calling
- Answer machine
BT phone line rental
If standard BT line rental doesn’t quite cover everything for you, there’s the option to upgrade to Line Rental Plus. For a higher monthly charge this’ll get you some premium features, including:
- Priority phone line fault fixes, so problems on your line will be fixed by the end of the next working day
- Calling features, such as call barring and the ability to block incoming calls from certain numbers
- Bill notifications, and more flexible ways to pay - this is your only option if you don’t want to pay by direct debit.
- As with normal line rental, it can be included as part of a bundle with broadband, TV, and mobile too.
What’s good about BT phone line?
Available pretty much anywhere - but always use our postcode checker to see what your options are for your area
- Can get landline-only package
- …or you can include line rental as part of a bundle with broadband, TV, and mobile
- Option to save money by paying a year’s line rental upfront
- Lots of calling features available
- Can upgrade your plan at any point
- Loads of broadband and phone deals
- Good international calling plans
What’s bad about BT phone line?
Most expensive line rental in the UK - only by a few pennies per month in some cases, but the most expensive nonetheless
- Comes with fewer features as standard than some providers
- Re-activating an existing line incurs a fee, and installing a brand new line incurs an even bigger one
- Paying by any method other than direct debit requires you to upgrade to Line Rental Plus, which is more expensive
Our latest BT landline deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What else can I get from BT?
Read more about BT's broadband and TV services that you can get along with your phone line:
- BT broadband
- BT Superfast Fibre (formerly known as BT Infinity)
- BT TV
- BT Sport
- YouView on BT
- All BT packages
- BT Business Broadband
How much are calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers from BT phone lines?
BT customers with a pay as you go plan pay 20p per minute. Customers with a BT calling plan can make these calls for no extra charge, as part of their monthly allowance of call minutes.