Sheffield-based Plusnet (www.plus.net) specialises in simple, affordable broadband and home phone. Owned by BT (www.bt.com) but run independently, it’s committed to keeping things simple - and prides itself on its top-notch customer service.
So if you’re after an internet connection that won’t break the bank - in a package that won’t send your head in a spin - Plusnet may be the provider for you. Here’s what its broadband has to offer.
What can I get with Plusnet broadband?
Plusnet has three broadband options to choose from:
- Unlimited - average download speeds of 10Mb with unlimited downloads. The most basic package and perfect for a bit of browsing, social media, and email.
- Unlimited Fibre - Fibre optic, with average download speeds of 36Mb and unlimited downloads. Fibre optic means superfast speeds - great for a large household, avid Spotify streamers, or gamers.
- Unlimited Fibre Extra - Fibre optic, with average download speeds of 66Mb and unlimited downloads. Plusnet’s fastest fibre optic broadband that will suit online gamers or households full of Netflix fans.
Got your heart set on fibre? Check out our guide to Plusnet fibre optic broadband.
All three of these options are available either as broadband-only deals, or grouped with home phone as well. Bear in mind that an active phone line is required even if you choose broadband-only - though whether that’s through Plusnet or another provider is up to you.
Of course, you’ll get a few extras thrown in if you go for broadband that includes a phone line. Plusnet's line rental itself is, on the whole, cheaper than other providers, and Plusnet gives you a discount on your monthly broadband bill as well. You can also upgrade your call plan to include evening and weekend calls, anytime calls, or add international calling at any time.
But let’s look at the fun stuff you get with Plusnet broadband. For a start, your connection itself is unlimited with no download caps. That means you can surf the web, stream video, and play online games to your heart’s content without having to worry about your allowance running out.
Plusnet SafeGuard is included as standard in each of the broadband packages too. This is network-level internet security that lets you block websites known to contain viruses and malware, or sites you don’t want the kids seeing (like adult material or violence). Since it’s network-level, it’ll apply to all devices connected to your line, from laptops to tablets to phones, meaning a family-safe connection all around.
And if virus protection is a big concern, you get Plusnet Protect for up to seven PCs included as well. This is powered by McAfee, and comes completely free with the Unlimited and Unlimited Fibre Extra packages. However, with the Unlimited Fibre package, you’ll only get the first three months, so remember to cancel if you don’t want to be charged for it after that.
You can even add on some TV with Plusnet, in the form of a YouView box that gives you freeview telly. It'll also give you BT Sport - either just BT Sport 1 for free, or the whole suite for a small monthly fee.
Or, if you have a Sky box and a satellite dish, Plusnet broadband is one of the cheapest ways to nab BT Sport. It'll give you all the channels on your TV - BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport 3, and ESPN - with more football and rugby than you can shake a stick at. For a little extra, you can get them all in HD too.
To find out which Plusnet deals are available in your area, use our postcode checker and take a look.
What’s good about Plusnet broadband?
- Specialises in affordable, easy-to-understand packages that won’t cost a bomb
- Superfast speeds, especially if you go for fibre optic
- Unlimited downloads so you don't have to worry about hitting a cap
- Landline-free broadband-only packages available - though they still need an active phone line
- Good reputation for customer service and 24/7 UK-based support
- All packages include SafeGuard and Plusnet Protect
- BT Sport can be added - one of cheapest ways to get BT Sport, in fact
- Save money on your monthly broadband bill if you stick with a Plusnet phone line
- Free activation and installation when phone is included
- Option to save money by paying a year’s line rental upfront
- Free Plusnet Hub Zero or Plusnet Hub One
What’s bad about Plusnet broadband?
- TV isn't available to everyone - some other providers that offer similar packages also offer TV
- Faster speeds available with other providers, such as Virgin Media
- Fibre optic not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area
- Broadband requires an active phone line, so even with a broadband-only package you still need to pay line rental - whether to Plusnet or another provider
- Not many extras - since Plusnet is all about simplicity there aren’t a lot of options for customising your package
See our full Plusnet review for more.
What can I get from Plusnet?
Read more about what Plusnet has to offer: