Sky broadband teams good speeds with a reliable service. And for a bit extra per month, you can get a guaranteed WiFi signal in every room and wide-ranging parental controls with the Broadband Buddy app.
Unfortunately we don't have any Sky deals available right now - we hope to have them back with us soon.
In the meantime, here's some of out other provider deals...
This week's best provider deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What can I get from Sky Broadband?
Sky (www.sky.com) offers a standard ADSL broadband service, dubbed Essential, a faster Superfast fibre broadband service and the top-of-the-range Ultrafast service.
- Sky Broadband Essential - 11Mbps average broadband speed, with no download limit. Suitable for homes with one or two occupants and light internet users.
- Sky Broadband Superfast- A fibre optic package with 59Mbps average broadband speed and no download limit. This package is ideal for streaming video and music, gaming, and large households with lots of people connected at the same time.
- Sky Broadband Ultrafast - Sky's premium service with average speeds of 145Mbps. The catch is that only available in certain areas. At the time of writing, only 10% of UK properties can get Sky Ultrafast.
All Sky broadband deals come with a landline, as well as pay as you talk calls as standard.
However, if you use your landline a lot or need it make international calls, you can upgrade to Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra, Anytime Extra, or International Extra.
Sky offers a range of TV bundles too, which combine broadband with movie channels, Sky Sports channels or Netflix.
Sky Broadband Boost add-on
For a few extra £5 per month, Sky Broadband Superfast, Ultrafast and Essential customers can also sign up for Sky's Broadband Boost add-on.
This lets you manage your family's internet time and even pause the internet from your phone, using the Broadband Buddy app.
Broadband Boost subscribers also get its latest Sky Hub router and benefit from Sky's WiFi Guarantee, which guarantees you a Wifi speed of at least 3Mbps in every room of your house.
Sky will also fix any broadband issues, provider flexible engineer visits on both evenings and weekends, and provide 2GB of mobile data in your Sky Mobile account if your broadband cuts out.
Sky Hub routers
Sky broadband and home phone packages come with one of two routers: the older Sky Hub or the Sky Hub 2019.
The latter is faster and offers a wider range, faster speeds and is compatible with the Sky Broadband Buddy app.
To get the new version of the Hub, you'll need to sign up for Sky Ultrafast. Or sign up for the Broadband Boost add-on when you take an Essential or Superfast package.
The older Sky Hub has good range, as well as a lower-power mode that kicks when it's not in use to keep your energy bills down.
Like a lot of modern, high-tech routers, it's equipped with ‘smart-signal’ technology, meaning it’ll scan for interference in your home and select the best Wi-Fi channel.
It also comes with Sky Broadband Shield. This will block websites at a network level, such as ones known to contain malware or phishing.
Sky Broadband gives you a free trial of McAfee Security Centre too. It lasts 12 months - but remember to cancel it when the trial is up, or you’ll be charged £3 per month from thereon in.
The Sky Hub 2019 offers everything that the older Hub has, but provides a much wider-ranging, stronger signal and comes with the Sky WiFi guarantee that ensures you get a decent signal and minimum speed of 3Mbps throughout the home.
The newer Hub is also compatible with the Broadband Buddy app that allows parents much greater control over their children's viewing habits.
Sky free Wifi
Any Sky broadband subscription gives you access to free Wi-Fi through The Cloud at public hotspots too, on up to six devices.
Usage is totally unlimited, won’t cost you anything extra, and there are thousands of hotspots scattered all over the UK.
And if you’ve got the Sky Go app, you can hook up to The Cloud and watch TV when you’re out and about.
What’s good about Sky Broadband?
- With decent average broadband speeds of 59Mbps, Sky's fibre packages are perfect for streaming TV and movies and gaming
- Sky's Broadband Buddy parental controls app is one the best around
- Wifi Guarantee, available with the Boost add-on, is well worth the outlay for larger homes
- Fibre and standard broadband is widely available throughout the UK
- Better than average customer service record, according to Ofcom
- Option to bundle with Sky TV
- Free access to public Wi-Fi hotspots all around the country
- Includes Sky Broadband Shield and a McAfee free trial to keep your devices safe
- Sky Hub smart router automatically detects and adjusts for interference to keep Wi-Fi connection stable
- Sky VIP scheme rewards long-term customers with priority visits from engineers, free set top box upgrades and cinema tickets
What’s bad about Sky Broadband?
- Not the fastest broadband around - can get faster speeds from the likes of Hyperoptic and Virgin Media
- No broadband-only packages
- Ultrafast fibre service is only available in select locations. Use our postcode checker to find out if you can get it
- Broadband Boost has some great features, but it's a shame it costs extra
What else can I get from Sky?
Remember that you can bundle your Sky broadband with the provider's other services - such as TV and a calls package.
Read more about what you can get and compare deals with our guides:
- Sky Fibre broadband
- Sky TV
- Sky Q
- Sky Talk
- Sky Sports
- Sky Cinema
- Sky deals and offers
- Sky upgrades for existing customers
- All Sky packages and bundles
Can I get Sky broadband deals in my area?
Sky’s Superfast fibre broadband service and Essential standard broadband is widely available throughout the UK. However, Sky Ultrafast is solely reserved for larger towns and cities and is only available to 10% of UK premises.
To check which Sky broadband deals you can sign up for at your address, use our broadband availability checker.
How much is Sky broadband?
Sky broadband isn’t the cheapest around. By way of example, if you choose the Essential service and you should expect to pay just under £400 over the course of an 18-month contract.
However, Sky is consistently rated highly for customer service so could be worth the extra outlay. Sky broadband is often bundled with free vouchers too.
Is Sky broadband any good?
With average speeds of 59Mbps on its Superfast package and 11Mbps for its low-cost Essential service, Sky speeds are in line with most rival providers.
It’s also notable that while cheaper broadband is available, Sky generally offers significantly better customer service than the likes of TalkTalk.
And if time your purchase right, you may be able to get free vouchers when you sign up.
Want to know more? Read our Sky broadband review.
What speeds can I get with Sky broadband?
Average speeds on Sky’s Essential broadband and Superfast broadband service are 11Mbps and 59Mbps respectively. However, the speed you’ll actually get depends on the location of your home.
To get a more accurate picture of the speeds you’ll get at your address, use our postcode checker.
What Sky broadband packages can I get?
Sky Essential is an entry-level broadband package and is best suited to people who live alone, or with one other person.
If you’re part of family of four or more persons sharing a home, or live in a shared accommodation, we’d recommend you choose Sky Superfast or Ultrafast. These packages get you a faster, fibre connection.
Can I get Sky broadband without a landline?
How long will it take to switch to Sky broadband?
The entire process of switching to Sky typically takes about two weeks from start to finish, but you may need to allow a bit longer if installation is required.
At the point when the switchover is actually taking place, you may be without service for a few minutes. But certainly no longer.
Find out more about switching provider with our one-stop guide.