Sky (www.sky.com) takes pride of place as one of the UK’s biggest triple-play providers, with over 10 million of us using its TV, broadband, and home phone. Its internet is truly unlimited, its TV has an impressively broad range of channels, and on top of that it’s available all over the country.
Building a bundle with Sky is easy enough. Take a look at the options for the services you want, pick and choose the ones you like the look of - and bam, your Sky bundle is ready to order.
You’re basically free to pick and mix which bits you want - if you want TV from Sky but broadband from another provider, for instance, that’s no problem.
To find out which Sky packages are available where you are, use our postcode checker to check out your options.
Sky TV is the most comprehensive subscription TV service in the UK - if a channel exists, you can pretty much count on Sky offering it. However, bear in mind that to get Sky TV, you’ll need a satellite dish installed on your home, regardless of which option you choose.
These days, there's just one Sky TV package: Sky Entertainment.
It gives you more than 300 channels, including the full Sky collection (like Sky Atlantic), documentary channels (like Discovery), and plenty of good ol' entertainment (like Comedy Central). You'll get plenty of stuff to watch on demand as well.
If that's not enough, however, there are five extra channel packs you can add on. These give you even more stuff to watch, both live and on demand - and since they work on a 30-day rolling basis, you're free to add, change, or remove them at any time.
The extra packs you can add on are:
- Sky BoxSets - Gives you more than 350 box sets of loads of top TV shows. Watch, stream, or binge them whenever you want, including through Sky Go.
- Sky Sports - Up to 11 sports channels, and the best way to watch Premier League football, Test cricket, rugby, and more. This one's pretty flexible: you can add one, two, or three channels, or get the whole lot, with varying fees. Read more about Sky Sports here.
- Sky Cinema - 10 channels showing nothing but movies, more than 1,000 films available on demand, and a new premiere every day. Read more about Sky Cinema here.
- Sky Kids - Gives you 10+ kids' TV channels, including Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel.
- Sky HD - You get around 12 free-to-air HD channels with the basic Sky Entertainment, but with the Sky HD pack, you can add on 40+ more.
At the centre of Sky Q is the idea of ‘fluid viewing’ - to put it more simply, you can watch Sky TV around the house, on tablets or with additional Sky boxes. Everything’s super-connected, so you can stop watching in one room, pick up where you left off in another - whether it’s catch-up TV, box set or even a recording.
Plus there are loads of extra features too, including vastly improved navigation, exclusive web videos, the ability to stream content from your phone and more. You can find out more about it in our exclusive guide to Sky Q.
- Sky Broadband Unlimited - 11Mb average broadband speed, with no download limit. Ideal for browsing to your heart’s content, but your connection may struggle with tasks that eat up bandwidth, such as streaming HD video.
- Sky Fibre - Sky’s cheapest fibre option, with 36Mb average broadband speed, and a 25GB monthly download limit. Perfect if you want a taste of fibre optic broadband, but watch out for that usage cap.
- Sky Fibre Unlimited - Fibre optic, with 36Mb average broadband speed, and no download limit. Great for large households who want to browse, download, and stream without limits.
- Sky Fibre Max - Fibre optic, with super duper fast average speeds of up to 63Mb, and no download limit. Sky’s speediest broadband of all, good for households of heavy internet users - but it’s not as widely available as the 36Mb version.
All broadband packages require Sky line rental, so Sky Talk is automatically bundled in as well.
However, you’ll also get some cool features included as standard too - such as the Sky Hub router, free Wi-Fi at hundreds of public hotspots, and internet security in the form of Sky Broadband Shield and a free trial of McAfee Security Centre.
Basic Sky line rental is pay-as-you-go, though you can always upgrade your Sky Talk for a little extra. The packages are:
- Sky Pay As You Talk - Sky's basic line rental, in which you only pay for the calls you make.
- Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra - Inclusive UK landline calls in the evenings and at the weekend.
- Sky Talk Anytime Extra - Unlimited calls to UK landlines at any time.
- Sky Talk International Extra - Unlimited calls to landlines in 50 destinations, including the USA, India, China, and France.
All have a bunch of extra options you can add on, like voicemail, three-way calling, and call diversion.
On top of all that, Sky also now offers mobile deals. Its range includes 12-month SIM-only plans, with either 1GB, 3GB, or 5GB of data per month, as well as handset contracts on special 'Swap' tariffs.
Anyone can take out a Sky Mobile plan, but if you have Sky TV you'll get a few extra benefits - like unlimited minutes and texts, free Sky Go Extra, and features that let you connect to your Sky box from anywhere.
What’s good about Sky packages?
- Can group various services together onto one monthly bill to save hassle (and money)
- ...or you can pick and choose which bits you want - e.g. if you’re satisfied with your current broadband provider, or tied down to another contract, you can still get Sky TV
- TV is very widely available
- More TV channels than any other provider
- Easy way to get Sky Cinema and Sky Sports, and the only way to get Sky Atlantic
- Sky Q is the most comprehensive TV service on the market
- Loads of great Sky Q-exclusive features, including streaming from phones, fluid viewing around the house, web videos, apps and more
- Watch TV in multiple rooms, picking up exactly where you left off, with Sky Q
- Broadband is truly unlimited and fibre is very fast - perfect for big households, avid online gamers, or Netflix fans
- Good customer service record, according to Ofcom
What’s bad about Sky packages?
- Doesn’t come cheap - all those extra features and channels are pricey
- Sky TV requires a satellite dish on your home, which can be a lot of hassle and not always possible in rented or shared accommodation
- Sky Fibre not available everywhere, and fastest Fibre Max package available in even fewer places - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it where you are
- Download limits apply to some broadband packages - and watch out, because you’re upgraded automatically and charged for the new package if you go over it twice in a six month period
- Not the fastest broadband around - Virgin Media has even faster options, for instance
- No broadband-only packages - all broadband includes landline
Read more about Sky packages
Find out more about everything you can get from Sky - and compare deals and bundles - in our guides: