If it’s affordable, uncomplicated broadband you’re looking for, TalkTalk (www.talktalk.co.uk) may be the provider for you. It’s committed to offering cheap and easy broadband packages, whether you’re a casual browser or a hardcore gamer, and is one of the cheapest providers in the UK.
With unlimited downloads, lickety-split fibre optic speeds, and network level security, this is certainly a package worth talking about - and there’s always a chance to save money by bundling it with phone and TV.
What can I get from TalkTalk broadband?
In the interest of keeping things simple, TalkTalk has two main broadband options:
- Fast Broadband: up to 17Mb download speed with unlimited downloads - a nice simple option for browsing and email
- Faster Fibre Broadband: fibre optic, download speeds up to either 38Mb or 76Mb, and unlimited downloads - perfect for bigger households
If you choose one option and realise it's not the right one, however, that's fine - TalkTalk will let you change your package at any time. This'll mean signing a brand new contract, though.
All TalkTalk's broadband options are truly unlimited: there’s no usage cap or download limit, and TalkTalk doesn’t manage web traffic so it won’t slow your connection down at peak times.
You’ll get HomeSafe included as standard too, so you can block sites known to contain viruses and malware, or adult sites you don’t want the kids to see. It works at network level, meaning it’ll apply to any device that connects to your broadband. And then there's SuperSafe - device security for your computer, tablet, or smartphone. You can either get it free for just one device, or add the full SuperSafe Boost to protect up to eight gadgets.
All packages include a TalkTalk phone line - there's no broadband-only option, sadly - so you’ll get phone included in your package too. But hey, it comes with some pretty good features, like the Talk2Go app for your smartphone, which lets you transfer calls between your mobile and landline. And if you’ve got a chatty household you can upgrade with the Unlimited UK Calls Boost, International Extra Boost, and more.
To find out what TalkTalk deals are available where you are, use our postcode checker to see your options. Or, if you’ve got your heart set on fibre optic broadband, take a look at our guide to TalkTalk fibre.
What’s good about TalkTalk broadband?
- Specialises in being simple and affordable
- Can get broadband and phone as a bundle with TalkTalk TV
- Superfast fibre optic broadband that doesn’t cost a fortune
- Free Talk2Go app that lets you transfer calls between your landline and mobile
- Safe - HomeSafe and the basic SuperSafe are included as standard
- Unlimited packages let you download as much as you like, and TalkTalk won’t slow your connection at peak times
- Can upgrade an existing TalkTalk package to faster broadband at any time
What’s bad about TalkTalk broadband?
- Fibre not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area
- Faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- Can’t get standalone broadband, only as part of a package with a phone line
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom
- Long contracts - 18 months is the only contract length available