TalkTalk packages - what are my options?
Need a bit of everything, but don’t want to break the bank? Take a look at TalkTalk (www.talktalk.co.uk). As ‘quad-play’ providers go - that is, companies that offer broadband, home phone, TV, and mobile - TalkTalk’s among the cheapest and the simplest.
A basic TalkTalk bundle has broadband and home phone, plus a free mobile SIM. Then on top of that, you can add TV as you want it.
Let’s have a closer look at what packages there are to choose from.
A TalkTalk package starts with a choice of broadband. It offers two main options, which are:
- Fast Broadband - Up to 17Mb download speed, great for browsing, email, and social media.
- Faster Fibre Broadband - Fibre optic, with download speeds up to either 38Mb or 76Mb, making it good for big households or for streaming video.
Don’t worry if the broadband you choose doesn’t quite cut it - TalkTalk allows you to change your package at any time, though it’ll mean signing a fresh contract.
All its packages include unlimited downloads, so you can browse and download without worrying about a usage cap, and are truly unlimited, so TalkTalk won’t slow your connection even at peak times. You’ll also get one of TalkTalk’s Super Routers, with their top-notch wireless signal, and some internet security in the form of HomeSafe and SuperSafe. The full SuperSafe Boost is also available if you want to protect more than one device.
Sadly, landline-free broadband isn’t available from TalkTalk - a TalkTalk phone line is required.
TalkTalk home phone
TalkTalk home phone is quite limited. There’s just one basic package, line rental with pay-as-you-go calls, and it’s only available with broadband - not as line rental on its own.
However, that package comes with some pretty cool bonuses, like calling features and the Talk2Go app for your smartphone, which lets you transfer your landline minutes to your mobile.
And as well as that, it’s very flexible. ‘Boosts’ can be added and removed on a rolling monthly basis, meaning you can get extra features whenever you need them. These include Unlimited UK Calls, and Boosts for international calling minutes.
Once you’ve got your broadband and home phone picked out, it’s time to look at TV.
TalkTalk’s TV packages can be bundled in with their broadband too. There are two main options:
- TV - comes with a TalkTalk TV box, 70+ free-to-air channels, pause and rewind but no recording
- TV Plus - comes with a YouView+ box so you can pause, rewind, and record 200+ hours of live TV, and 30+ extra entertainment channels included as standard on top of the usual free-to-air ones
Both packages also include seven-day catch up from services like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, and so on. You’ll also get access to Netflix, with the option to include a subscription in your monthly TalkTalk bill, and the TV2Go app - so you can watch on demand TV from your phone or tablet whenever you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
Again, they’re very flexible. Although there’s only two basic options, both can have a number of Boosts added on for extra bunches of channels, letting you tailor your TV exactly how you like it. And since they’re on monthly rolling subscriptions too, you can add and remove them at any point.
Boosts include the Entertainment Boost, Kids Boost for more kids TV, Asian Boost for Bollywood movies and Indian TV, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, and more.
With every TalkTalk plan, you’ll also get a free TalkTalk Mobile SIM thrown in that comes with 500MB of mobile data a month. You can stick it in your phone straight away, keep it as an emergency spare, or whatever you like.
If you like the sound of a TalkTalk Mobile plan, however, there has plenty of other options available for you too. You can get phone contracts and SIM-only deals on a range of tariffs, sometimes up to 4GB of data per month.
What’s good about TalkTalk packages?
- Affordable - one of the cheapest broadband and TV providers in UK, in fact
- ‘Quad-play,’ so you can lump broadband, home phone, TV, and mobile into one easy monthly bill
- Fibre broadband has superfast download speeds, up to 76Mb
- Can change your package at any point, though this means re-contracting
- Broadband is truly unlimited, with no download limits or web traffic management
- Can upgrade package to include faster internet at any time
- TV packages are incredibly flexible, with rolling monthly Boosts
- TV2Go and Talk2Go apps let you access your minutes and TV from anywhere with Wi-Fi
- Free mobile SIM with each package
What’s bad about TalkTalk packages?
- Fibre broadband not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area
- Long contracts, with 18 months the shortest available
- Even faster broadband is available from other providers, such as Virgin Media and Hyperoptic
- No broadband-only option - a TalkTalk phone line is required
- No landline-only or TV-only options either - all are only available with broadband
- TV doesn’t have as many channels available as some other providers, in particular Sky or Virgin Media
- TalkTalk has weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom
- Multiple Boosts can add up and end up being costly