As set top boxes go, YouView’s pretty good - once you’ve got one, you can watch 70+ free-to-air channels completely contract-free. Or, you can grab one way more cheaply with a TV Plus package from TalkTalk and enjoy a few extras along with it.
What is TalkTalk YouView?
YouView’s known for being nice and user-friendly, with an easy-to-navigate interface and fun features like browsing by genre.
It’s also brimming with accessibility features such as easy access to signed TV and audio descriptions, and a TV guide optimised for using with screenreader apps.
With TalkTalk TV, you’ll get either a standard YouView box with the basic package, or a YouView+ box with TV Plus that allows you to record the shows and films you don’t want to miss.
You can also download the TV2Go app to your smartphone or tablet, so you can watch catch up and box sets wherever you are; and the TalkTalk TV Planner app, to manage your reminders and recordings on your mobile. And, most importantly, you can add dozens of extra channels and on demand services in the form of Boosts.
What channels can I get?
The range of channels you get with TalkTalk YouView starts with your initial package. There are two to choose from:
- TV - Comes with a TalkTalk TV box so you can pause and rewind (but not record) live TV, with 70+ free-to-air channels.
- TV Plus - Comes with a YouView+ box so you can record up to 200 hours of TV, 70+ free-to-air channels, plus more than 13 extra entertainment channels.
Both will also let you access up to seven days of catch up and on demand TV, from big players like BBC iPlayer and 4OD.
One of the beauties of TalkTalk TV is its ‘Boosts.’ These are bundles of extra channels that you can add to your TV package on a monthly rolling basis.
They’re super-flexible, and your subscription to each one can be stopped or started whenever you want.
Take a look at our guide to TalkTalk TV Boosts for the complete list.
What’s good about TalkTalk YouView?
- Good value - TalkTalk is committed to offering affordable, simple packages
- YouView box is super cheap when teamed with TalkTalk TV
- Boosts make it the most flexible TV service in the UK
- User friendly with lots of accessibility features
- Extra entertainment channels come as standard with TV Plus
- TV2Go app is included, so you can watch TV wherever you are
- So is the TalkTalk TV Planner app, so you can set reminders and recordings from anywhere
- Deals on Boosts are often available, which means saving even more money
What’s bad about TalkTalk YouView?
- Need to upgrade to the more expensive TV package to get the YouView+ box
- TV is only available as part of a package with phone and broadband
- Although standalone YouView is available almost everywhere, TalkTalk isn’t - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Not as many channels as some TV providers, such as Sky and Virgin Media
- TalkTalk has weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom
- YouView box can be slow to start up
What can I get from TalkTalk?
TalkTalk has a wealth of services that you can get with or without its YouView-based package. Here's what else the provider has to offer: