Not only does Virgin Media (www.virginmedia.com) offer phone, mobile, and one of the most comprehensive TV services in the UK, its broadband is impressive. With superfast download speeds in excess of 350Mb with some packages, it’s worth a good look if you want to browse, game, and stream without limits.
Read on to find out exactly what Virgin Media broadband can do for you.
What can I get from Virgin Media broadband?
Virgin Media owns and operates its own network of cables - meaning all broadband customers get superfast fibre optic broadband. And because it’s completely separate from phone lines, Virgin Media can offer landline-free broadband too. Alternatively, you can save money by picking it up in a bundle with phone, TV, and mobile.
Three different download speeds are available - M50 (average 54Mb download speed), M100 (average 108Mb download speed), M200 (average 213Mb average speed), and lickety-split M50 (average 362Mb download speed). This is some of the fastest broadband in the country we’re talking about.
362Mb is an absolute dream for gamers and video streaming fans, but even 108Mb is more than enough for the average household. You get unlimited downloads too, so you needn’t worry about a usage cap cutting you off. However, it’s not truly without restriction - Virgin Media manages web traffic on uploads at certain times of the day to make sure everyone gets a stable speed, which can slow your connection at peak times.
All Virgin Media broadband packages are available on 12-month contracts. And, as if superfast speeds and unlimited downloads weren’t enough, you’ll get a load of extras chucked in as well. You can use up to ten email addresses with Virgin Media Mail, connect to Wi-Fi on the London Underground - and protect your devices with Web Safe and F-Secure SAFE totally free of charge.
Be warned, Virgin Media broadband isn’t available everywhere yet - use our postcode checker to find the best deals where you are.
What’s good about Virgin Media broadband?
- Superfast download speeds - great for large households, streaming HD video, or gaming
- Unlimited downloads with no usage cap
- Broadband-only option available that doesn’t include line rental
- Available contract-free
- Can bundle with TV, phone, and mobile to save money - and it’s one of the most comprehensive TV packages in the UK
- Nine-month contracts available for student households
- Can self-install if there’s already been a Virgin Media connection in your home before
- Loads of extras thrown in, like internet security and email addresses
What’s bad about Virgin Media broadband?
- Fibre optic broadband not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area
- Not the cheapest either - it’s not committed to affordability like Plusnet or TalkTalk are
- Not truly unlimited, so your connection may slow a little at peak times
- Costly installation fees can apply in certain cases
What else can I get from Virgin Media?
Want to know more about Virgin Media's services? Here's what else the provider has to offer: