Good old Virgin Media (www.virginmedia.com) has got it all. Since it’s a ‘quad-play’ provider, you can bundle broadband, TV, home phone, and mobile together - and there are lots of options to choose from.
Broadband, mobile, and all but one of its TV packages are available as standalone contracts on their own too, so it’s no problem to pick and choose the bits you want.
All Virgin Media packages are available on either 12-month contracts or on a 30-day rolling basis. Longer contracts cost less per month, but 30-day ones can be cancelled at any time.
Virgin Media broadband
Virgin Media has its own network of fibre optic cables, meaning its super speedy broadband is available either bundled with other services or on its own, landline-free. There are four different packages available:
- VIVID 50 - average download speed of 54Mb
- VIVID 100 - average download speed of 108Mb
- VIVID 200 - average download speed of 213Mb
- VIVID 350 - average download speeds of 362Mb
All have unlimited downloads, so you needn’t worry about hitting a usage cap. However, Virgin Media manages web traffic, meaning your connection may slow at peak times.
You’ll also get a ton of extras thrown in, including a Virgin Media Super Hub, internet security in the form of Web Safe and F-Secure SAFE virus protection, 10 free email addresses, and access to Wi-Fi on the London Underground.
Virgin Media also offer business broadband packages.
There’s also a mobile broadband package available from Virgin Media. Its Wireless Mobile Wi-Fi device has download speeds of up to 21Mb and monthly downloads limit of up to 10GB - with contracts on either a monthly rolling or one-year basis.
Virgin Media TV
Like its broadband, TV from Virgin Media is available either on its own, or bundled in with other services.
- Player TV - 70+ channels, including nine in HD
- Mix TV - 150+ channels, including 10 HD and the Sky suite of channels
- Full House TV - 245+ channels, including 45 HD
- VIP - everything in Full House TV plus Sky Sports and Sky Cinema
You'll either get a 500GB TiVo box that lets you record, rewind, and pause live TV; or a 1TB V6 box for even more storage, better features, and 4K capability. You’ll also get access to Virgin TV Anywhere, to watch on demand TV anywhere from any device, and you can add premium channels whenever you want - including Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, international channels, adult channels, and BT Sport.
Virgin Media home phone
For line rental, you have four Talk packages to choose from:
- Talk Weekends - Standard line rental, with inclusive calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobiles at weekends.
- Talk More Weekends - Includes unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles at weekends.
- Talk More Evening and Weekends - Includes calls to UK landlines and mobiles in the evenings as well as weekends.
- Talk More Anytime - Includes unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and mobiles.
- Talk More International Anytime - Includes unlimited calls to UK landlines, UK mobiles, and landlines in 30 international destinations.
They all have some features included, such as voicemail, and a ton of extra features you can add on too, like call divert, premium number barring, and international calls.
Virgin Media Big Bundles
The handy thing about Virgin Media packages is that you can choose which bits you want - or save money and cut down on hassle by going for a ready-made ‘Big Bundle.’ They are:
- Player bundle - VIVID 100 broadband; Player TV; Talk Weekends.
- Mix bundle - VIVID 100 broadband; Mix TV; Talk Weekends.
- Full House bundle - VIVID 100 broadband; Full House TV; Talk Weekends.
- VIP bundle - VIVID 200 broadband; Full House TV; Sky Sports; Sky Cinema; an extra TV box; Talk More Anytime.
All include the same perks and extras as each of their individual components - so you’ll get the Virgin Media Super Hub, email addresses, Virgin TV Anywhere, and what-have-you.
You can also add a mobile SIM to your plan.
Mobile deals of all kinds are available on their own from Virgin Mobile, though you can pick one up even cheaper if you’re already a Virgin Media broadband or TV customer.
Pay monthly contracts
Whether you want a snazzy new handset or a SIM-only deal, a pay monthly contract is available from Virgin Mobile. Most are simply standard contracts, but on selected phones you can also get a Freestyle one. What this means is that you can switch up your contract whenever you like - so if you find you’re using more data or making more phone calls that you anticipated, it’s no problem to upgrade to the next tariff up.
You’ll have a few options of allowances on your contract, though the exact ones available may vary depending on the handset or contract type you’re going for. They very from a basic 1GB of data per month, all the way up to 20GB and 5000 calling minutes.
What’s good about Virgin Media packages?
- ‘Quad-play’ provider, so you can bundle broadband, phone, TV, mobile into a single monthly bill
- Lots of flexible options on all packages that you can customise as you wish
- Available on 30-day rolling contracts, or on a 12-month basis if you want to save money
- Ready-made ‘Big Bundles’ let you save even more money
- Broadband-only and TV-only packages are available, allowing you to pick and choose
- One of the most comprehensive TV services in UK, with hundreds of channels and thousands of hours of on demand TV
- Superfast fibre optic with unlimited downloads is perfect for large households, avid gamers, and Netflix fans
- Everything is packed with extras, such as Virgin TV Anywhere
- Nine-month student contracts available
- TV and broadband customers can get discounts on mobile
- Can self-install if there’s already been a Virgin Media connection in your home
What’s bad about Virgin Media packages?
- More expensive than a lot of providers
- Not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get Virgin Media in your area
- Broadband isn’t truly unlimited and web traffic is managed
- Costly installation fees can apply
- TV packages aren’t that flexible - you may end up shelling out a lot to get the channels you want
- Line rental not available on its own, only with TV or broadband