About Virgin TV Anywhere
What is Virgin TV Anywhere?
A TV package from Virgin Media (www.virginmedia.com) comes with a lot of perks - and one of them is free access to Virgin TV Anywhere, the on-the-go service that lets you watch telly from your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Install the app to your device, or simply go on the website, and once you sign in you’ll be able to browse listings, manage your TiVo remotely, and, of course, watch TV - including up to 120 live channels. From a web browser on your computer, you’ll also be able to watch seven-day catch up, and all the on demand content included in your package. That includes Sky Cinema and Sky Sports if you subscribe to them too.
If your telly at home has a TiVo box, you can also use Virgin TV Anywhere to manage it remotely. Fiddle around with your TiVo settings, set up and delete recordings… or if you’re at home you can use your phone or tablet as a remote control. Perfect for when the real one gets lost in the sofa cushions.
Up to five people in your household can get a secondary My Virgin Media account to use the app, and up to two devices can watch TV at the same time, so it’s great for families.
How do I get Virgin TV Anywhere?
First of all, you’ll need Virgin Media TV. Virgin TV Anywhere isn’t available to non-customers, so the only way to get it is to sign up to a package. Enter your postcode into our postcode checker to compare Virgin Media TV deals.
The next thing you’ll need is a compatible device with an internet connection - and luckily there are a lot of them. PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, iPad, iPod Touch, tablet, and Kindle Fire devices can all be used for Virgin TV Anywhere. The online version via the website can be accessed from most browsers, so your laptop or desktop computer is almost guaranteed to work. There are, however, some limitations: not all smartphones and tablets are compatible, and it’s not supported by Google Chrome, so you’ll need to use a different browser such as Firefox or Safari.
Once you’ve installed the app or loaded up the website, sign in to your My Virgin Media account and you’re ready to go. If you need a helping hand, you can also check out our guide to setting up Virgin TV Anywhere.
Unfortunately, the app doesn’t support 3G or 4G connections, so you’ll need to be hooked up to Wi-Fi to access on demand and live TV. Still, that means you can watch TV at home, in a café, on the train… so it’s not too limiting. You’ll also need to be physically in the UK to watch shows due to licensing laws, but you can manage your TiVo, search the TV guide, and browse listings from anywhere in the world.
What’s good about Virgin TV Anywhere?
- Watch TV from anywhere in the UK - including up to 120 channels, and a huge amount of on demand content
- Included free of charge with all Virgin Media TV packages
- Great for families - up to five people can have a secondary account per household, and two can watch it at once
- Compatible with a wide range of devices, including iPhones, Androids, and Kindle Fires
- Can manage your TiVo box’s recordings, settings, and preferences from anywhere in the world
- Can even use your device as a TiVo remote control
- Sky Cinema and Sky Sports content is included, if you subscribe to them
- Includes parental controls on secondary accounts, so the kids won’t watch movies and shows outside of their age range
What’s bad about Virgin TV Anywhere?
- Virgin Media TV isn’t available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it where you are
- Not compatible with all devices, especially Androids
- Can’t watch TV over 4G or 3G
- No option to download shows to watch later, like you can with Sky Go
- Only available to Virgin Media TV customers - there’s no subscription option for everyone else
- Can’t watch on demand content from your tablet or phone
- Web version isn’t supported by Google Chrome
- There’s no desktop version to download to your computer