Virgin Media V HD box - What is it?
What is a Virgin Media V HD box?
If you signed up to Virgin Media TV a while ago, however, you may still have a V HD box in your living room. Here's what it's like.
The box is HD and 3D-ready, so you can watch your favourite TV in stunning high definition and even watch 3D movies as they’re meant to be seen. And as with all TV from Virgin Media, you’ll have access to a great range of seven-day catch up and on demand box sets. The box even has its own broadband connection through Virgin Media’s cable network, meaning it won’t affect the bandwidth or download limit of your home internet.
However, there are limitations to the V HD. Whilst a TiVo box allows you to pause, rewind, and record TV - up to 500 hours on a 1TB box - a V HD one does not. In fact, by not opting for TiVo you’re missing out on a wealth of features, such as a comprehensive search function, personalised suggestions, and apps like Netflix and YouTube. Of course, you’ll need to shell out a little extra each month for TiVo.
What channels do I get?
The exact channels you get with a V HD box depend on which TV package you choose. Player TV will give you around 70 channels, whereas Full House TV has more than 245… so there’s quite a range out there. Take a look at our guide to Virgin Media TV channels for the complete list.
As well as a nice load of channels, your V HD will get you access to on demand content. Every TV package has seven-day catch up available, from services such as BBC iPlayer and 4OD, and some on demand box sets. There’s also movie rentals through Virgin Movies, and thousands of music videos and concerts from Virgin Music.
All TV subscriptions come with Virgin TV Anywhere too. This’ll let you watch on demand TV, as well as some live channels, from any device - whether it’s on the website through a browser, or via the app on your smartphone or tablet.
What’s good about a Virgin Media V HD box?
- HD and 3D ready
- Parental controls let you keep an eye on what the kids are watching
- Plenty of catch up and on demand TV available
- Has its own broadband connection via Virgin Media’s cables, so watching on demand content won’t affect your home broadband
- Good range of TV packages available from Virgin Media, with up to 245 channels
- Virgin TV Anywhere lets you watch TV wherever you are
What’s bad about a Virgin Media V HD box?
- Virgin Media isn’t available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see what you can get in your area
- Can’t record TV, unlike with TiVo, Sky+, and YouView+ boxes
- Can’t pause or rewind live TV either
- Though the box itself may be free, Virgin Media is one of the most expensive subscription TV services in the UK
- V HD has nowhere near as many features as a TiVo box