On 1 January 1985, Vodafone made the UK’s first mobile phone call. Today it boasts of having almost 20 million users and one of the largest mobile networks in the country.
Vodafone has a lot going for it - from the massive choice of handsets, to their generous Red Plans with unlimited calls, to pay as you go deals with lots of rewards. Read on to find out more.
Vodafone pay monthly mobile plans
When you pick a pay monthly plan from Vodafone, you'll be given a lot of choice over the specifics of that plan. The network gives you lots of options, from budget tariffs with 500 minutes and only 500MB mobile internet data, to plans for heavy users, comprising unlimited calls and 20GB data. All plans offer unlimited texts.
What you'll pay depends on numerous things - what you need, the handset you pick out and so on. Use our comparison service to compare all the various options.
As for handsets, you've got a lot of choice. There are flagships, like the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, as well as budget devices, and everything in between.
|iPhone 6s 16GB||
6GB data (first 2 months unlimited)
£49.00 a month
Plus extra £5 off when you trade in your old iPhone 5, 5s, 6, or 6 Plus
Vodafone Red 4G Plans
Seeing red isn't always a bad thing - especially if it gives you super-speedy mobile broadband and tons of perks. Vodafone Red plans give you 4G (although you can also get 3G Red Plans if 4G's unavailable), unlimited calls to both landlines and mobiles, unlimited texts, and more generous data limits - starting from 1GB and going up to a hefty 20GB a month.
Vodafone plans also throw in some interesting extras. These include:
- 2-month unlimited data 'test drive' - How much data do you need each month? It can be a hard question to answer, especially with 4G mobile internet, where the extra speed means you can do much more online than you could before. To help answer the question, Vodafone lets you use as much as you want for three months. Then, it will tell you what you used, allowing you to move to a tariff that best meets your needs.
- BT Wi-Fi hotspot access - Since 4G data use is limited on Vodafone (once your first three months is up at least) it's often worth switching to Wi-Fi. Vodafone lets you do that out and about by accessing any of BT's vast public Wi-Fi hotspots without charge. The amount of Wi-Fi data you get differs according to the plan you pick.
- Early upgrade plan - If you're eager to get your hands a new phone before your contract - typically 24 months - is up, you can upgrade up to 60 days early with Vodafone Red.
- Entertainment subscription - Various Vodafone Red 4G plans come with a 12 or 24-month subscription to an entertainment package of your choosing. Pick between Now TV, Spotify, or Sky Sports Mobile. You can stream Now TV or Spotify on your phone, but you'll also be able to use them on computers, games consoles, tablets, smart TVs and more. A word of warning, though - streaming video eats data extremely quickly, so while it's a very nice perk, try to stick to Wi-Fi as much as possible.
- EuroTraveller Plus - When you're travelling in Europe, Vodafone lets you make free calls home to the UK, and receive calls and texts at no extra cost.
Already got a phone you love? It's worth considering a Vodafone SIM-only plan instead. Like its mobile contract deals, Vodafone SIM-only plans cover a wide range, from 250MB data and 300 minutes all the way up to 20GB and unlimited calls and texts. They all include 4G, and the Red and Red Value SIM-only bundles have all the same benefits as a Red contract deal.
Any SIM-only plan*
Plus a £50 Amazon.co.uk gift card
|Browse SIM-only deals|
Unlimited minutes and texts
6 months FREE Now TV, Spotify, or Sky Sports Mobile
Was £22.00 a month
Now £19.80 a month
Offer ends 9/4/16
*Cannot be used with £20/month 20GB SIM-only plan
Vodafone mobile coverage
Vodafone provides 3G coverage nationwide, covering 90% of the UK population. Its 4G coverage is less extensive, especially compared to EE, but Vodafone is expanding it city by city, so if it's not available where you live, it may be in the coming months.
To see if you can get Vodafone services in the areas you frequent, you should check the company's mobile coverage checker.
What's good about Vodafone mobile?
- Lots of choice - Vodafone has an incredibly wide choice of handsets and tariffs
- 4G data with all plans
- Unlimited data 'test drive' for three months to help pick the best tariff
- Upgrade your phone up to 60 days before the end of your contract
- Free BT Wi-Fi access
What's bad about Vodafone mobile?
- Its plans aren't the cheapest around
- 4G coverage is still a bit lacking
- No unlimited data plans available, at least not beyond your first two months