Want to compare TV packages to find the best one for you? On this page, we’ll guide you through the process and show you how to get the best deals…
Which broadband providers offer TV packages?
The best way to check availability is to input your postcode in our postcode checker and we’ll show you what’s on offer in your area.
Availability of TV services
For starters, BT and TalkTalk both offer a YouView TV service. This brings you Freeview down the aerial, but also extra channels, catch-up TV and on-demand programmes delivered over your internet connection.
Virgin Media and Sky work differently, however.
Sky uses a satellite signal to deliver TV, which means you can get it pretty much anywhere in the country.
While Sky broadband isn’t compulsory for Sky TV customers, you do need a broadband connection to use Sky’s catch up TV, on-demand and Sky Store.
You can also get Virgin Media TV without having Virgin Media broadband. Virgin Media TV is only available in the areas covered by the cable network, though.
This is less wide-ranging than with the other suppliers - covering around 70% of the UK, mostly in towns and cities.
The best way to see which providers are available at your address is to use our postcode checker.
An overview of entertainment channels
Some of the best known and most in-demand entertainment channels include:
- Sky Atlantic - Exclusive to Sky TV and NOW TV customers, Sky Atlantic specialises in high quality TV from the USA.
- MTV - The MTV family of channels - including MTV Rocks, MTV Hits and VH1 blend music videos with reality TV.
- Comedy Central -Mostly American shows, including Friends, Rupaul's Drag Race, The Daily Show and South Park.
- National Geographic - Specialises in documentaries about the natural world and lifestyle shows.
Movie channels' availability
Film fans have a huge choice of channels and on-demand content offering the latest films and classic cinema. Depending on your package these may be fully inclusive, or you'll be able to add them for an extra monthly fee.
You can rent movies on a pay-per-film basis with BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media, or you can plump for a subscription to Sky Cinema - putting all 11 Sky Cinema channels at your fingertips.
Sky's Cinema channels are also available with a pay-as-you-go Now TV Movies Pass or with Now Broadband TV bundles.
Availability of sports channels
You no longer have to sign up for BT broadband to get BT Sport. The same goes for Sky Sports, which also allows you to subscribe if you're with another broadband provider.
Sky Sports subscriptions are now available to customers of Virgin Media, BT, Now TV and TalkTalk.
BT Sport is available to Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet, EE and Virgin Media customers too.
Alternatively, Now TV's pay-as-you-go Sports passes let you sign up for Sky Sports on a one-day, one-week or one-month basis. Better still, they're available to customers of all providers.
What’s on Sky Sports?
- 128 live Premier League matches every season
- Live coverage of every F1 race
- Domestic and international cricket, including The Ashes
- Golf, including the PGA Tour Gold and the Ryder Cup
- Rugby union
What’s on BT Sport?
- 38 live Premier League matches every season
- Every Champions League and Europa League match
- Aviva Premiership rugby matches
- Action from the MotoGP season