For a bit of a laugh, there’s really no channel better than Comedy Central. Launched in 1995 as The Paramount Channel, it made the switch two years later to show funny TV and nothing else.
Though it only broadcasts in the UK and Ireland, it’s aligned with the US channel of the same name - meaning lots of syndicated US comedy gets mixed in with British shows and plenty of stand-up.
The four channels you can get are: Comedy Central; Comedy Central +1, where you can watch the stuff you missed an hour ago; Comedy Central Extra, which has a slight emphasis on classic comedy and US shows; and Comedy Central HD. With some TV packages you’ll find its shows on demand as well.
What can I watch on Comedy Central?
Believe it or not, you can watch comedy. No, really.
It prides itself on its stand-up comedy, which makes up around 40% of the channel’s total output. That includes programmes like Live at the Apollo and Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, as well as comedians’ tour shows. There’s a heavy focus on home-grown Brit comics.
It’s also known for importing popular comedies from across the pond, such as Friends, The Office, Broad City, The Middle, Key and Peele, Workaholics, Impractical Jokers, South Park, and Two and a Half Men. And, of course, there’s even more UK comedy in the form of shows like Bad Education and Russell Howard’s Good News. In recent years it’s begun making original programming too, including Threesome and a lot of shorts.
In evenings and at weekends, you’ll often find movies on Comedy Central as well. We’ll let you guess what genre they usually are.
How do I get Comedy Central?
Thankfully, our favourite funny channel is available on all the main TV services in the UK - though you may have to splash out on a more premium package to get it.
- BT TV has both Comedy Central and Comedy Central Extra on its Entertainment Plus and Entertainment Ultra HD packages. The HD version of the channel is part of the HD Bolt-on too, meaning it’s also included in Entertainment Ultra HD.
- Sky TV gives you Comedy Central and Extra, and springing for the Sky HD pack includes it in HD as well. That means you can also watch it live and on demand from anywhere with Sky Go - which Sky customers can access for free, though you get a little more with the costlier Sky Go Extra.
- With Virgin Media TV, you can get Comedy Central with the Mix TV package, or in HD with Full House TV. And of course, you’ll find it all on demand, which you can also watch - along with the live channel - from any device with Virgin TV Anywhere.
- TalkTalk includes Comedy Central with its TV Plus package - or you can add it on to the basic TV package with the TV Select Boost.
- Comedy Central is also available via NOW Broadband, which you can access through a dedicated set top box, YouView, a streaming stick, or a web browser.