Formally First Utility, Shell Energy believes that broadband is an essential part of modern life, just like gas, electricity and water. Indeed, while it’s best known as an energy supplier, it also offers broadband packages, too.
The lack of setup costs plus discounts for Shell Energy customers will no doubt make the provider an appealing prospect for many, but should it be your first choice?
Read on, and we’ll take a look at what the provider has to offer, and dive into the pros and cons.
What does Shell Energy do?
- Fast broadband - gives you average download speeds of 11Mb and unlimited downloads. It’s best suited for small households of one or two people, who tend to use the web for light browsing, social media and the occasional show on iPlayer or Netflix.
- Superfast fibre - gives you superfast download speeds - average 35Mb - with unlimited downloads. It’s fibre optic, which is faster and more reliable than the older technology used by the package above, making it great for browsing, streaming video in HD, and downloading music.
- Superfast fibre Plus - gives you average download speeds of 63Mb with unlimited downloads. Not technically fast then, but pretty speedy all the same. It’s a good choice for heavy users who download with multiple people logging onto the web at once.
All packages include pay as you go calls as standard, but you can add evening and weekend calls, or even unlimited anytime calls, for an additional charge. Whichever plan you pick, all contacts last 18 months.
What’s particularly great is that unlike some other providers, for example BT, there are no connection fees whatsoever.
Shell Energy phone packages
Much like its broadband, Shell Energy phone plans are simple and straightforward. As standard, everyone has pay as you go calls - you’ll pay a set rate per minute depending on whether you call landline or mobile.
If you’re a bit chattier, you can choose to add any of these call plans onto your broadband package.
- Evening and Weekend Calls Package - inclusive calls from 7pm to 7am Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Anytime Calls Package - exactly as the name implies, inclusive calls any time of day, to landlines in the UK and standard UK mobiles.
- International Calls Package - 600 minutes to landlines and 75% discount on calls to mobiles in 40 countries. In alphabetical order, they are: Australia, Austria, Azores, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Canary Islands, Croatia, China, Cyprus (South), Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and finally the USA.
Rewards and discounts
Shell Energy broadband customers will get some great perks, including offers off fuel and a number of other discounts on Shell GO+. Brilliantly, if you’re a Shell Energy customer, you can get rewards like a 3% discount on petrol.
To get these benefits, customers need to download the Shell+ rewards scheme app. After that, you’ll be given a bar code to scan at the till every time you purchase petrol that will give you 3% off every purchase.
What’s good about Shell Energy broadband?
- No upfront charges
- No installation costs
- Unlimited downloads
- Line rental included
- Exclusive discounts for energy customers
What’s bad about Shell Energy broadband?
- Fibre optic broadband not available everywhere
- Not the cheapest option for non-energy customers
- No TV packages available
- Phone plans cost extra
Our latest Shell Energy broadband deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.