Sheffield-based Plusnet specialises in simple, straightforward business packages. There are no complicated communications networks - just easy-to-understand broadband and phone line deals, much like its home broadband.
There aren’t many real options for large businesses, but for small to medium ones - shops, home offices, cafes, and the like - you’ve got some great choices. Let’s take a look at Plusnet (www.plus.net).
What can I get from Plusnet business?
There are four business broadband packages up for grabs:
- Business Broadband - The basic broadband package, with up to 18Mb download speeds and a 25GB monthly download limit. However, the limit only applies to internet usage between 8am and midnight - overnight downloads are unlimited. It’s ideal for a business where you need internet for a bit of browsing and email but don’t need to download large files (at least, not during the daytime).
- Unlimited Business Broadband - Up to 18Mb download speeds but with unlimited downloads. This package is good for a business that needs reliable internet all the time, but not for anything too intensive like video conferencing.
- Business Fibre Broadband - Superfast fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 76Mb, and a 50GB monthly download limit. Although, again, overnight downloads are unlimited. The fast speeds are great for streaming video, VoIP, or for connecting a few devices at once - but look out for the download limit.
- Unlimited Business Fibre Broadband - Fibre optic speeds of up to 76Mb but with unlimited downloads. Perfect for when you need a reliably fast connection, download a lot of data, or need to connect multiple people all day.
All are available either as standalone broadband-only packages, or with line rental too - though with broadband-only, you’ll still need a working phone line, whether from Plusnet or another provider. Your phone line options are:
- PAYG - The standard business line rental from Plusnet, in which you only pay for the calls you make.
- UK Anytime - Includes anytime calls to UK landlines.
- UK Anytime, Mobile, and International 500 - Includes anytime calls to UK landlines, plus 500 anytime minutes to UK mobiles, US mobiles, and landlines in 20 international destinations - including Germany, Ireland, and India.
- UK Anytime, Mobile, and International 1000 - Same as above, but with 1000 mobile and international minutes.
Packages are available on contracts lasting either 24 months, 12 months, or one month. The 24-month contract has lower upfront costs and monthly bills, but is a lot less flexible.
A bunch of features are thrown in with each broadband package too, including unlimited email addresses, one free .co.uk web domain, Plusnet SafeGuard for internet security, and the option of a static IP address. And, of course, you’ll have tech support from Plusnet’s award-winning 24/7 customer service.
You’ll also have the option to add more services for an extra cost each month - such as Enhanced Care for quicker fault repairs, or Prioritised Service for higher upload speeds.
What’s good about Plusnet business?
- Packages are very affordable, especially for business-grade broadband, with some of the cheapest line rental in the country
- Specialises in simple, easy to understand packages
- Known for excellent 24/7 UK-based customer support
- Flexible contract options, from one to 24 months
- Unlimited downloads available
- Packages with unlimited 12am-8am usage are great if you work night shifts, or if you need to download data overnight
- Broadband-only packages available
- Good for small businesses and offices
- Extras available at no extra cost, such as unlimited email addresses, a free domain, and a static IP address
What’s bad about Plusnet business?
- Not many options for large businesses or big offices
- Not many business extras either, like the cloud storage, calling features, multiple phone lines, symmetrical upload and download speeds, or leased lines available from providers such as BT
- Superfast fibre optic connections aren’t available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see what your business can get
- The more flexible contracts get a lot more expensive
- Usage caps can be restrictive
- No phone-only packages - line rental is only available with broadband