Smarty SIM-only deals explained
If you can get by on 8GB of data or less, Smarty’s SIM-only plans offer excellent value, as all tariffs include unlimited UK standard calls and texts. On top of flexible one-month contracts, Smarty’s plans also include discounts on unused data.
In this guide, we'll take you through what you get from Smarty, and how to choose a SIM deal.
What SIM-only deals can I get from Smarty?
Smarty’s monthly data allowances range from 2GB to 8GB, and all plans include unlimited UK standard calls and texts and are available on one-month contracts.
Perks and benefits
All pay-monthly SIMs from Smarty get you these benefits:
- Stay connected with your friends and family with unlimited UK standard calls and texts on all plans
- At the end of each month, Smarty rewards you for any unused data you have leftover with a discount on your next plan
- Flexible one-month contracts mean you can cancel anytime or change your plan each month
- Tether and hot-spot your data without speed restrictions
How to compare Smarty SIM-only deals
Comparing Smarty SIM deals is easy - just use the table at the top of this page. You can see all the deals together, compare what you can get, and filter them down so you only see the ones that suit what you need.
Think about things like:
- Allowance - how much data and how many minutes and texts do you need per month? If you're not sure how much to go for, take a look at our full guide to data usage.
- Contract length - choose between a 12-month or a 30-day plan
- Price - if you have a budget, choose the maximum you want to pay each month in the cost filter
Click on the deal you like best, and we'll take you to Smarty's website so you can sign up and get started.
If you're not convinced Smarty is the network you want, that's no problem - you can compare its deals right next to those from other providers too. Just select the networks whose SIMs you'd like to see and we'll show you the lot. Or, compare all SIM deals here.
Can I get an unlimited data Smarty SIM?
No, we're afraid unlimited data isn't available with Smarty. The maximum monthly data allowance you can get is 8GB, on a one-month contract. This is fine for internet browsing and frequent social use, but if you’re a regular watcher of Netflix or YouTube, consider networks that offer larger or unlimited data allowances.
What's the cheapest Smarty SIM-only deal?
The cheapest mobile SIM deal you can get from Smarty is a one-month plan that comes with 2GB data and unlimited UK standard calls and texts. If you mainly use your phone to browse the web, send email, and use social apps like Facebook, then all of Smarty’s plans are good value.
To find the cheapest deal that fits your use , use our comparison table. Adjust the filters to make sure you only see SIMs that have enough monthly allowance for you, and then sort the whole table by monthly cost. You'll see the lowest-priced deals right at the top.
You'll generally find that 12-month plans work out cheaper per month than 30-day ones, so it's worth the commitment if you really want to save money. And sometimes there are limited time deals that are worth keeping an eye out for.
Is a Smarty SIM deal cheaper than a phone contract?
Yes - it's almost always cheaper in the long run to buy a phone outright and take out a SIM-only deal.
As all Smarty’s SIM-only deals are one-month plans, if you do want the benefits of a longer contract (like lower upfront costs, a nice new phone in your hand today, and free screen replacements), it’s worth seeing what other networks offer.
Can I upgrade a Smarty SIM-only deal?
Yes, you can. With Smarty’s mobile's SIM-only one-month plans, it's easy to switch tariffs every month.
Can I keep my number if I switch to a Smarty SIM-only deal?
Yes - it's almost always possible to keep your current phone number when you switch to a new network.
1) Choose a new SIM-only plan - compare deals and sign up to one that you like the look of. Your SIM will be sent through the post to you. While you're waiting…
2) Contact your current provider and request your PAC (porting authorisation code) - you can request your code in a few ways - online, via text and even by post if you're really old-school. If you phone, they may try to talk you into sticking with them, but stick to your guns if this happens. They'll send you the PAC as a text message within two hours.
3) Give the PAC to your new network - when your new SIM arrives, it will have a new number. To change it to the old one, contact your network and give them the PAC code. They'll take care of porting the number over. It could be as fast as one working day before the old number's transferred, but be aware that on occasion it can take a little more time.
It may sound complicated, but it's very simple in practice. If you want a bit more detail, check out our full guide to keeping your phone number:
What size SIM card do I need?
There are three SIM card sizes you can get:
- Standard SIM card - 15mm x 25mm, commonly used in older feature phones
- Micro SIM card - 12mm x 15mm, used in some smartphones, primarily older models
- Nano SIM card - 8.8m x 12.3mm, used in most modern phones, including popular handsets like the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8
Don't worry if you have no idea which size your phone takes. Most networks will send you a 3-in-1 SIM, designed to fit into any handset. It'll come encased in plastic, and you can pop it out into the size you want.
In other words, don't stress about SIM size when comparing deals. Whichever you choose, the SIM card will fit in your phone.
Does my phone have to be unlocked to use a Smarty SIM?
Some phones are locked onto a particular network, and will need to be unlocked before you can use another company's SIM. Fortunately, this is really easy to do. To find out if your phone is locked, pop in a friend's SIM card - they'll need to be on another network obviously. If it works, then your phone is good to go - otherwise, you'll need to contact your current operator and ask them to unlock it.
Different networks have different rules on unlocking. Some examples are:
- Three - all handsets are unlocked out of the box.
- O2 - phones are locked, but O2 will unlock them for free when you're out of contract. Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will have to pay though.
- Vodafone - phones are locked, but Vodafone will unlock for free.
- EE - phones are locked, but EE will unlock for free - so long as you're out of contract. PAYG customers must wait 12 months after purchasing to unlock.
Those are just the major networks. To find out more about unlocking your mobile, check our full guide:
More SIM-only deals
Take a look at the SIM deals you can get from other providers too:
- Asda Mobile SIM-only deals
- EE SIM-only deals
- giffgaff SIM-only deals
- iD Mobile SIM-only deals
- Plusnet Mobile SIM-only deals
- Sky Mobile SIM-only deals
- Smarty SIM-only deals
- Tesco Mobile SIM-only deals
- Three SIM-only deals
- TPO Mobile SIM-only deals
- Virgin Mobile SIM-only deals
- Vodafone SIM-only deals
- VOXI SIM-only deals