With so many different options available, picking the right broadband package for you and your family can be a bit confusing. With that in mind, here’s how to get a decent broadband deal, as well as all the information you need to pick the best broadband for a large family.
What speed do you need? Do you need unlimited downloads? How can you save money?
Let's take a look...
What’s the best broadband for a large family?
Because large households tend to be crammed full of computers, smartphones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs. If your household streams a lot of video, watches a lot of catch-up TV, plays online games, or works from home, fibre optic broadband will be your best option.
Most fibre optic packages start with advertised speeds of around 35Mb, which is quite fast, though Virgin Media offers packages with average speeds of 362Mb, which is really fast.
- For a house of three or four people: take a look at broadband with advertised average speeds of 35Mb and above.
- For a house of five or more people: see packages with average speeds of 67Mb and beyond.
Do I need fibre optic broadband?
Whether or not you need fibre optic broadband depends on how much you use the internet, how large your household is and how many devices are being used at once.
Fibre optic broadband will give you…
- Faster speeds
- More bandwidth, so you can get loads of devices online at once
- Lower latency (lag), meaning better Skype calls and online gaming
Do I need broadband with unlimited downloads?
Broadband with unlimited downloads is ideal for large households. Luckily, nearly every broadband provider offers unlimited packages, including BT, Sky, TalkTalk, and Virgin Media. You won’t be short on choice.
Keep an eye out for ‘truly unlimited’ packages too - this means there’s no web traffic management that can slow down your connection at peak times.
Could I save even more money by combining my services together?
Absolutely. Bundling all of your services together with one provider will save you money. Plus, its more convenient, as you’ll only have one bill to manage.
Here’s what you need to think about:
- TV - Take a look at providers that offer broadband and TV combo packages. handy singular package from these providers, including Sky, Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT and Now TV. To find out more and compare broadband and TV bundles, check out our handy guide.
- Home phone - Depending on your provider, you may be able to get Inclusive evening calls after 6pm, Evening and weekend calls and International minutes, so you can keep in touch with family and friends overseas. Or, if you don’t use the phone at all, have a look at broadband deals without a landline.
- Mobile - Providers like BT, EE, Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and Vodafone also offer mobile phone deals - including discounts and goodies for broadband customers, and special plans designed to suit families. For more info on family mobile plans, take a look at our guide.