About Plusnet fibre broadband
What Plusnet (www.plus.net) does best is affordable, straightforward broadband packages. It’s owned by BT (www.bt.com) but run independently, and prides itself on its Sheffield roots and its reputation for great customer service.
With Plusnet you can get phone, standard broadband, and fibre optic broadband in simple packages that won’t break the bank. Let’s take a look at what you can expect from its fibre optic broadband.
What can I get from Plusnet fibre?
If superfast fibre broadband from Plusnet sounds good to you, you’ve got two options:
- Unlimited Fibre - average download speeds of 36Mb
- Unlimited Fibre Extra - average download speeds of 66Mb
If you go for broadband only, bear in mind that an active phone line is still required. So you’ll still have to pay line rental - whether it’s to Plusnet, BT, or another provider.
Getting both broadband and line rental through Plusnet is generally cheaper, though. You'll also get the chance to upgrade your home phone package to include evening and weekend UK calls, anytime UK calls, or buy the Anytime International. This will give you 300 minutes of calls per month to 35 international locations including France, India, China, and the USA.
Plusnet Safeguard is included as standard with all its broadband packages too. This gives you the control to block websites that you don’t want the kids to see, such as adult content or violent material.
And, of course, for long-term contracts you'll get a router thrown in - the Plusnet Hub One.
To see what Plusnet deals are available in your area, use our postcode checker and take a look at your options.
What’s good about Plusnet fibre?
- Superfast speeds - perfect for streaming video, playing games, downloading music, or even just sharing the connection with a few people
- Specialises in affordable prices and simple to understand packages
- Unlimited broadband with no download limits
- Known for its strong customer service record with round-the-clock UK-based support
- Plusnet SafeGuard included as standard, giving you parental control at network level
- Free activation and installation when phone is included
- Free Plusnet Hub One
- Can save money on line rental by paying a year’s worth upfront
What’s bad about Plusnet fibre?
- Fibre optic not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to find out if your area is covered
- Broadband-only requires an active phone line, so you’ll still have to pay line rental - if not to Plusnet, to someone else
- Faster fibre broadband available with other providers (such as Virgin Media)
- Not many extras available - Plusnet specialises in simplicity so there aren’t many options to customise your package
How does it compare?
Plusnet fibre broadband has similar speeds to BT Infinity, though it’s not as widely available. BT does have a lot more options on broadband and phone packages, and they come with extras like access to Wi-Fi hotspots and more calling features - but it comes at a higher price. Read more: Plusnet vs BT broadband
Similar speeds are available from Sky fibre as well, though again its packages are less affordable than Plusnet’s. And bundling options are more comprehensive from Sky too - especially when it comes to TV.
Virgin Media broadband can reach higher speeds than Plusnet - the Vivid 350 offers average speeds of 362Mb, but once again you’ll have to pay more for the privilege. But, like Sky, it’s a better option if you want a good TV package as well.
TalkTalk is comparable in price to Plusnet, and offers similar download speeds as well. TalkTalk has a much wider range options for TV and mobile, though you’ll get stronger customer service from Plusnet. Read more: TalkTalk vs Plusnet broadband
See our full Plusnet review for more.
What else can I get from Plusnet?
Read more about all the other services Plusnet has to offer: