What Plusnet (www.plus.net) does best is affordable, straightforward broadband packages. You can get phone, standard broadband, and fibre optic broadband in simple packages that won’t break the bank.
It’s owned by BT but run independently, and prides itself on its Sheffield roots and its reputation for great customer service. Let’s take a look at what you can expect from Plusnet fibre optic broadband.
What can I get from Plusnet fibre?
- Fibre - average download speeds of 66Mbps
- Full Fibre - FTTP (fibre-to-the-premises) with average download speeds of 74Mbps, 145Mbps, 300Mbps, 500Mbps, or 900Mbps
You'll also get the chance to upgrade your home phone package to include evening and weekend UK calls, anytime UK calls, or buy the Anytime International.
This will give you 300 minutes of calls per month to 35 international locations including France, India, China, and the USA.
Plusnet Safeguard is included as standard with all its broadband packages too. This gives you the control to block websites that you don’t want the kids to see, such as adult content or violent material.
And, of course, for long-term contracts you'll get a router thrown in - the Plusnet Hub Two.
To see what Plusnet deals are available in your area, use our postcode checker and take a look at your options.
What’s good about Plusnet fibre?
- Superfast speeds - perfect for streaming video, playing games, downloading music, or even just sharing the connection with a few people
- Specialises in affordable prices and simple to understand packages
- Unlimited broadband with no download limits
- Known for its strong customer service record with round-the-clock UK-based support
- Plusnet SafeGuard included as standard, giving you parental control at network level
- Free activation and installation when phone is included
- Free Plusnet Hub One
What’s bad about Plusnet fibre?
- Full fibre not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to find out if your area is covered
- Faster fibre broadband available with other providers (such as Virgin Media)
- Not many extras available - Plusnet specialises in simplicity so there aren’t many options to customise your package
How does it compare?
Plusnet fibre broadband has similar speeds to BT fibre. BT does have a lot more options on broadband and phone packages, and they come with extras like access to Wi-Fi hotspots and more calling features, and the option to add TV. But it comes at a higher price. Read more: Plusnet vs BT broadband
Similar speeds are available from Sky fibre as well, though again its packages are less affordable than Plusnet’s. And bundling options are more comprehensive from Sky too - especially when it comes to TV.
Virgin Media broadband can reach higher speeds than Plusnet - up to a whopping 1130Mbps, but once again you’ll have to pay more for the privilege. But, like Sky, it’s a better option if you want a good TV package as well.
TalkTalk is comparable in price to Plusnet, and offers similar download speeds as well.
TalkTalk has a much wider range options for TV and mobile, though you’ll get stronger customer service from Plusnet. Read more: TalkTalk vs Plusnet broadband
See our full Plusnet review for more.
Our latest Plusnet fibre deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What else can I get from Plusnet?
Read more about all the other services Plusnet has to offer: