This privacy notice explains how we collect; use; share; transfer; store; and protect your personal information. It also explains how to contact us to find out what personal information of yours we hold; what we use it for; how you can correct any inaccuracies; and how you can request that we stop using it.
Please read this privacy notice carefully since once you use this website you will be regarded as having read and accepted its terms.
Below is a summary of some of the main terms of this privacy notice:
- Use of our website is strictly subject to this privacy notice. If you do not agree to its terms you must not use this website
- We may collect different types of personal information about you when you use our website and services including your name, email address and postcode
- We will also collect information about how you use our website
- The section How we use your information details all the ways we
use your personal information, which includes:
- To improve our services and to conduct research
- To process an order you place through our website
- To tell you about our other products and special offers
- To send you relevant advertising
- We will share your information with other companies in our group, our suppliers and as required by law
- Some of your personal information will be stored outside Europe
- You can ask us any questions about your personal information at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
broadbandchoices.co.uk (the "website") is owned by Decision Technologies Limited ("we", "us", "our", or "DTL").
Our registered address is:
Decision Technologies Limited
High Holborn House
52-54 High Holborn
London WC1V 6RL
Our company number is 05341159
The DTL group (our "group") also includes the brands mobilephonechecker.co.uk, sellmymobile.com and comparemymobile.com which have their own privacy policies. You can follow this link to find out more about our group.
We take your privacy and the security of your personal information very seriously. We comply with the data protection laws and we are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (Registration No. Z932912X).
If after reading this privacy notice you still have any questions about how we use your personal information, please email our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com or write to our Data Protection Officer at our registered address.
The information we collect and how we collect it
When you use our website or any of our other services we may collect personal information about you. The type of personal information we collect will vary depending on the services you are using.
In many instances, we ask for your consent to process this information (for example, when you register to receive our email newsletters) and in other instances the legal basis under which we collect and use your personal information is that it is necessary for our legitimate business interests (for example, for monitoring and improving our services or to make sure that our marketing communications are relevant to you). You can find out more about the legal basis under which we collect and use your personal information here.
You have a right to object to this processing and the section How to get your information corrected or request we stop using it explains how you can do this.
We may collect:
- your postcode if you perform an availability check for suppliers in your area;
- your phone number if you call a supplier's call centre to place an order;
- your email address if you want to save your comparison results to your email inbox;
- your email address, current supplier and postcode if you use our broadband speed tester;
- your email address if you register to receive our email newsletters;
- your name, address, email address and other personal information if you enter a prize draw or competition;
- your name, email address, phone number and other personal information if you apply for a reward or special offer;
- your name, phone number and other personal information if you call our customer services team;
- your email address and any other personal information that you provide if you use our LiveChat help desk service; and
We also collect personal information from job applicants and current and former employees of our group. For job applicants, this information may include name, address, email address, phone number your CV and any personal references from previous employers. For current and former employees, we compile records relating to your employment. If you are a current or former job applicant or if you are a current or former employee of our group and you have any queries about the personal information we hold, please write to our Head of HR at our registered address.
Where we collect your personal information to help you place an order with a supplier, we act as a data processor (that is, we are collecting the information and passing it to the supplier in accordance with their requirements).
In all other instances where we collect your personal information, we act as a data controller.
The next section explains how we use your personal information.
How we use your information
- To improve our services- We may use your personal information to help us understand how people are using our website and services so that we may improve them. Additionally, if you have provided your consent for us to do so, we may contact you by email, online, or via the phone to ask you for feedback on your experience of using our website and services. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years
- To carry out research and analysis -We may use your personal information to perform research and analysis to help us better understand the geographic coverage and use of broadband, phone or digital TV services in the UK. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years
- To provide a broadband, home phone and digital TV availability check -If you carry out an availability check on our website, we use your postcode to carry out that check. Different suppliers provide their services to different parts of the country and this is determined by postcode. The postcode check is essential to find out which suppliers are available where you live. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years
- To fulfil an order you have placed -If you place an order with a supplier on our website (for example a broadband order with BT), we will collect your personal information and provide this to the supplier so they can process your order. We will also use your personal information to track the progress of the order you have placed. We keep this information for a maximum of 12 months
- To send you your comparison results -If you ask us to save your comparison results, we will use your personal information to email them to you and we will keep a record of those results. We keep this information for a maximum of 24 months
- To send you your speedtest results -If you use our broadband speedtester, we will use your personal information to send you the results and to recommend alternative services that may provide better speed performance. We keep this information for a maximum of 24 months
- To fulfil a prize draw or competition entry -If you enter one of our prize draws or competitions, we will use your personal information to notify you if you win. We may republish your name and town of residence if you win but we will not disclose your email address or any level of personal information that would enable any third party to contact or identify you (for example a full name and full area of residence). We keep this information for a maximum of 12 months
- To fulfil a reward or special offer- If you place an order that qualifies for a reward or special offer, we will use your personal information to allow you to redeem that specific reward or special offer. We keep this information for a maximum of 12 months
- To help you with a customer services enquiry -If you contact our customer services team, we will use your personal information to communicate with you and help sort out your enquiry. We keep this information for a maximum of 12 months
- To help you with a LiveChat enquiry -If you use our LiveChat online helpdesk tool, we will use your personal information to communicate with you and help sort out your enquiry. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years
- To tell you about our products and any special offers that may be of interest - When you provide us with your personal information we may ask your consent (or give you an opportunity to tell us you do not consent) to use it to send you additional information on other products and special offers from our group that may be of interest. Unless you tell us otherwise, you are agreeing that we can use it for these purposes. We keep this information for a maximum of 3 years We may obtain additional personal information from other companies to enable us to improve the relevance of our communications to you. You can easily unsubscribe from our emails or change your preferences at any time. Please see the "How to change your preferences" section, below.
- To show you advertising -We may use your personal information (for example how you have used our website) to show you advertising that is relevant to your interests, both on our website and services and elsewhere on the Internet. This may include using your personal information to identify if you are a registered Facebook user to show you advertising that is relevant to your interests through Facebook.
You can stop receiving these ads at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who we share your information with
When you use our website and services you are consenting to us sharing your information for the following purposes:
- Phone order tracking - we use a company called Responsetap to help us track phone orders placed with suppliers. If you phone a supplier's call centre to place an order, we will share your phone number with Responsetap solely to monitor the progress of your order. They will not share this information with any other company or use it for any other purpose.
- Email communications - we use a company called The Rocket Science Group to help us manage our email communications. If you provide us with your personal information to send you additional information on other products and special offers, we may share this information with The Rocket Science Group solely to provide this service. They will not share this information with any other company or use it for any other purpose.
- Customer services - we use a company called Zendesk to help us manage customer services enquiries. If you provide us with your personal information when making an enquiry, we may share this information with Zendesk solely to provide this service. They will not share this information with any other company or use it for any other purpose.
- Other members of our group - we may share your personal information with other companies within our group, if you have given your consent for us to do so. For example, if you have bought a mobile phone or taken out a new mobile contract then we may send you information on how to get money by recycling your old handset or how to save money by buying a refurbished handset. Please read their privacy notices to understand how they may use your personal information: Sellmymobile.com and Comparemymobile.com.
We may use other companies to help provide or maintain different parts of our website and service and in doing so they may process your personal information. This includes our postcode checker; our speedtester; and our help desk and LiveChat platform. In these instances, we are the data controller and the other companies must comply with our strict privacy requirements.
We link to other companies' websites from our website. We try to only include quality, safe and relevant links but we cannot guarantee or verify the content of any externally linked website. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they should have their own privacy policies and we have not endorsed or approved those policies. We cannot be held responsible (and do not accept any responsibility or liability) for the uses to which any other company puts your personal information once you have left our website.
Where permitted by law, we may also disclose your personal information:
- if we sell the group or any company or part of the group;
- to comply with any legal obligation, or to enforce or apply our rights and other agreements; and
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our group; our customers, or others.
We may also exchange your personal information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we transfer your information
Some of the personal information we collect may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Union (EU). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EU who work for us or for one of our suppliers.
Some of our services are provided by companies based in the United States (for example, Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform). When your personal information is transferred to the US we take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that it is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice and all appropriate legal and regulatory requirements. Many of the companies we use are certified by the Privacy Shield framework (which sets security and privacy requirements for protection of your personal information) and we have written agreements with them to ensure they cannot process your personal information for any other purposes or share it with any other companies without our express permission.
By submitting your personal information to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
How we keep your information safe
Keeping your personal information secure is very important to us. Once we have received your personal information, we will use strict procedures and security measures to protect it. Our website is certified secure by McAfee SECURE and we use a secure protocol (https://) to encrypt your information between your computer's browser and our website. We protect our network with the latest firewall technology and we securely store personal information and encrypt it where necessary. We restrict the number of our staff that have access to any personal information and we have secure backup systems to ensure that any personal information cannot be lost or deleted. We train all our staff so that they understand the importance of keeping our customers' personal information secure.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone and to choose a strong password (which should contain a mixture of letters and numbers).
Please bear in mind that no information sent over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you send to our website and it is sent at your own risk.
How to change your preferences
Our group will only send you emails or marketing communications if you have agreed to this but you can ask us to stop at any time.
If you no longer wish to be contacted by us, then you can let us know by emailing our customer services team (email@example.com) or by writing to us at the address below.
All group marketing emails have a clear unsubscribe link and if you click it then we will automatically unsubscribe you and you will not receive any further marketing emails.
In addition, all group marketing emails have a clear preferences link and if you click it then you can update your marketing preferences and your personal details.
How to get your information corrected or request we stop using it
If you have any concerns about the accuracy of your personal information then you can contact us in writing by post or email (details below) and we will correct it.
If you want us to stop using your personal information then please contact us in writing by post or email (details below) explaining why you object to its use and what you want us to do. We will then respond appropriately to your request.
Please note that if you do not provide us with your personal information or object to us using it then this may prevent us from fulfilling certain requests (for example we cannot provide accurate information on the broadband services where you live without your postcode and we cannot help you with certain enquiries without your contact details).
How to find out what information we hold
You have the right to get a copy of the information we hold about you. This is known as a subject access request.
If you wish to make a subject access request then please contact us in writing by post or email (details below). You must provide your full name, address and a contact telephone number.
If we hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you the legal basis for us holding it;
- tell you what we are using it for;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to;
- tell you how long we keep it; and
- let you have a printed copy of the information or, if you prefer, provide it to you in a commonly used electronic format.
We will do this free of charge and we will respond to you within one month or your request.
If you identify any inaccuracies in the information we send you then we will correct it.
Changes to this privacy notice
We update our privacy notice from time to time so we suggest you review it each time you provide any personal information. Any changes we may make in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified elsewhere on the website.
How to contact us or make a complaint
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice then please write to:
The Data Protection Officer
Decision Technologies Limited
High Holborn House
52-54 High Holborn
London WC1V 6RL
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are concerned about the way we may be handling your personal information, then you can raise your concern with the Information Commissioner's Office.
This privacy notice was last updated: [23 January 2018]