Vodafone is best known for mobile phone plans. But it sells a range of simple, fairly priced fibre broadband packages too. We take a close look at what it's got to offer.
What can I get from Vodafone broadband?
It packages also come with a highly rated router and there are discounts of £2 per month on offer on its broadband deals when you also sign up for a mobile phone contract.
Vodafone Superfast 1 and Superfast 2
Superfast 1 and Superfast 2 are its two most widely available broadband products, both of which come on 18-month contracts.
The connection speeds you can expect are:
- Superfast 1 - fibre broadband with average 35Mbps download speed, and a minimum speed of 25Mbps
- Superfast 2 - fibre broadband with average 63Mbps download speed, and a minimum speed of 55Mbps
Apart from the difference in download speeds, Superfast 1 and Superfast 2 are essentially the same.
They both include:
- Unlimited downloads, so you can browse and stream as much as you want without worrying about a usage cap
- Free internet security with a six-month subscription to F-Secure SAFE
- Parental controls that you can activate, to block sites you don't want the kids to access
Both packages also require you to take a Vodafone landline when you sign up for broadband, so you'll need to pay line rental.
Vodafone Gigafast broadband
Vodafone Gigafast is the brand name for its top-of-the-range broadband products.
With a premium service that gets you an average speed of 900Mbps, they're much faster than its Ultrafast products. But come at a price and they're much less widely available.
There are three tiers of Gigafast packages, with a choice of 200Mbps, 500Mbps and 900Mbps connection speeds.
At the time of writing (Jan 2020), Vodafone Gigafast was available to around one million homes. However, there are plans to bring it to five million homes by 2025.
Vodafone WiFi Hub
Sign up for Superfast 1 or Superfast 2 and you'll get the same Vodafone WiFi Hub router free of charge.
Key features include:
- Boost, which prioritises one device for a couple of hours - ideal when you're downloading a big file on your laptop, or streaming a HD film on the TV
- Guest network, so you can allow visitors to use the internet without giving them full network access
- Family Time, which disconnects selected devices at 'bedtime'
However, it does offer two broadband and TV bundles that are decently priced, both of which run over 24 months and include a free Apple 4K TV set top box.
Take a closer look at what Vodafone TV in our one-stop guide.
What's good about Vodafone broadband?
- Packages are affordable, simple, and straightforward
- Fibre optic broadband is superfast, with average speeds of 35Mbps and 63Mbps
- Unlimited downloads on all packages, so you can browse and stream as much as you want
- Deals, discounts, and introductory offers available for existing Vodafone mobile customers
- Option to save on line rental by paying a year upfront
- Free Vodafone Broadband router, which has some smart tech
What's bad about Vodafone broadband?
- Because it keeps things simple, there are very few choices of packages
- No broadband-only or landline-only options - can only get a package that has both
- Very few extras - there's no cloud storage or email addresses like you'd get with broadband from BT, Virgin Media, or Sky, for instance
- Gigafast service is only available to a very limited number of homes
Our latest Vodafone broadband deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
Is Vodafone broadband any good?
Vodafone broadband speeds are in line with most fibre broadband providers. And although its service isn’t as cheap as the likes of Plusnet and TalkTalk, its Superfast 1 and Superfast 2 packages are competitively priced.
There are discounts on broadband on offer too, if you sign up for a Vodafone mobile phone contract as part of your bundle.
What network does Vodafone use for broadband?
Like Sky, Plusnet, EE and many more, Vodafone broadband is delivered by the Openreach network.
That means you’re very likely to be able to get a Vodafone broadband service, unless you’re in an especially remote location.
Can I get Vodafone broadband without a landline?
Can I get Vodafone broadband in my area?
If you’re in a town or city you’re almost certain to be able to get Vodafone broadband. But best way to find out for sure is to use our postcode checker.