Vodafone broadband: Everything you need to know
Vodafone is best known as the second largest mobile network in the world… but now it's expanded into the world of home broadband in the UK as well. But are its packages as good as its mobile plans?
What it offers is simple, affordable fibre optic broadband and home phone packages, with just a few extras to make it fantastic. It's also one of the few providers out there to offer a speed promise - if your downloads aren't fast enough, you'll get money off your bill.
What can I get from Vodafone broadband?
Vodafone broadband is available in two flavours:
- Superfast 1 - fibre broadband with average 35Mb download speed, and a guaranteed minimum speed of 25Mb
- Superfast 2 - fibre broadband with average 63Mb download speed, and a guaranteed minimum speed of 55Mb
Broadband packages require Vodafone line rental, so you'll need that included too. But it comes with some nice features, like voicemail, and caller display, with the option to add others such as inclusive evening and weekend calls, or anytime calls for an additional charge.
Apart from their download speeds, both packages are basically the same. They include unlimited downloads, so you can browse and stream as much as you want without worrying about a usage cap; they have some internet security in the form of a six-month subscription to F-Secure SAFE; and they have parental controls that you can activate, to block sites you don't want the kids to access.
They also all include a free Vodafone Broadband router - an incredibly smart gadget. It puts your home Wi-Fi completely in your hands, with additional controls through the Vodafone Connect app that you can download to your smartphone or tablet. Its features include:
- Boost, which prioritises one device for a couple of hours - ideal when you're downloading a big file on your laptop, or streaming a HD film on the TV
- Guest network, so you can allow visitors to use the internet without giving them full network access
- Family Time, that disconnects selected devices at 'bedtime'
What's good about Vodafone broadband?
- Packages are affordable, simple, and straightforward
- Fibre optic broadband is superfast, with average speeds of 35Mb and 63Mb
- Ultimate Speed Guarantee means money off your bill if your download speeds dip too low
- Unlimited downloads on all packages, so you can browse and stream as much as you want
- Deals, discounts, and introductory offers available for existing Vodafone mobile customers
- Option to save on line rental by paying a year upfront
- Free Vodafone Broadband router, which has some smart tech
What's bad about Vodafone broadband?
- Not very wide availability - not everyone can get fibre in their area
- Because it keeps things simple, there are very few choices of packages
- No broadband-only or landline-only options - can only get a package that has both
- Very few extras - there's no cloud storage or email addresses like you'd get with broadband from BT, Virgin Media, or Sky, for instance