Virgin Media is one of the most comprehensive TV providers out there. It has loads of channels, a dizzying amount of on-demand box sets, catch-up TV and more.
Read on, and we’ll talk about what you can get from Virgin Media, what we like and don’t like about it, and how to find the best deal.
What can I get from Virgin Media TV?
There's a range of options available for you. They boil down to:
- Broadband and TV - Broadband at a speed of your choosing, plus TV with 100+ channels including all the essential free-to-air ones and a selection in HD. Plus you get catch-up TV, and the option to add Sky Sports, BT Sport and Sky Cinema as extras at additional cost.
- Big Bundles - Three-in-one bundles that give you broadband in your chosen speed, a home phone package, and TV. The TV element can range from a modest 100+ channels, up to 230+ with BT Sport, Sky Sports, and Sky Cinema included.
- Volt bundle - All of the above, plus an O2 SIM thrown in too.
Regardless of what you choose, TV from Virgin Media gets you:
- Live TV channels - This includes all the free-to-air ones, and, depending which package you pick, a selection of premium ones too.
- A Virgin TV 360 box - One of the best pieces of telly tech on the market. You have the power to record up to six channels at once (with up to 500 hours' worth of space), pause and rewind live TV, watch content in 4K resolution, search and control the box via voice, and access all your on-demand and streaming apps in one place.
- A huge breadth of on-demand content.
- Virgin TV Go - So you can watch your shows via the app wherever you are.
- The option to add Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, BT Sport, and Netflix to your subscription.
These take the best of Big Bundles and add a 4G SIM from O2, along with Virgin's fastest broadband.
Here's a selection of Volt bundles to give you a sense of what you get:
- Volt Fibre Broadband + TV - Includes 190+ channels, 362Mbps broadband, and a 4G O2 SIM with 10GB data.
- Ultimate Volt bundle - Includes 230+ channels (including BT Sport, Sky Sports, and Sky Cinema), Gig1 broadband, landline with anytime calls, and a 4G O2 SIM with unlimited monthly data.
What channels do I get with Virgin Media TV?
Virgin Media is one of the most comprehensive TV services out there, encompassing sports, movies, entertainment, kids’ shows, movies, documentaries and more on demand content than you can shake a stick at.
Of course, the channels you get depends on the TV package or bundle you have. Some will be included already, while others can be added on - for an extra cost, naturally.
You can see an up-to-date list of channels on Virgin Media’s website, but here’s how to get some of the most popular options:
If you’re an armchair sportsman, don’t worry - you can get all ten Sky Sports channels with Virgin Media. It’s available as an add-on to all packages that you can subscribe to at any time, but it’s also included in some Big Bundles.
If you’d like to find out more about Sky Sports and how to get it, check out our guide.
BT Sport is available on Virgin Media TV. As with Sky Sports, it's available on select Big Bundles, as well as by signing up for a rolling-contract BT Sport add-on.
Virgin Media has a few movie channels, plus a pay-to-view box office service, but if you’re a devotee of the silver screen, you really need Sky Cinema. It has many of the latest blockbusters, indie hits, and foreign films well before any other TV service.
You can add Cinema to any TV package at any time with a Personal Pick, or get it included as standard with select Big Bundles. To read more about Cinema and how to get it, switch over to our Sky Cinema guide.
A number of Virgin's TV packages include Sky entertainment channels, including Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Witness and Sky Arts.
Unfortunately, Sky Atlantic, which shows hot US imports like Succession and is arguably the jewel in the broadcaster’s crown, isn’t available on Virgin Media.
Virgin Media has a huge amount of on demand content available, including hours-worth of TV box sets, music videos, catch-up TV and more.
You can also watch Netflix, iPlayer, and YouTube on your set top box. For more, read our full guide to on demand TV.
And check out our complete guide to Virgin Media TV channels.
What’s good about Virgin Media TV?
- Decent selection of channels, including BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky channels
- Can pause, rewind and record live TV with TV 360 set top box
- TV add-ons are available on flexible 30-day rolling contracts
- Great for sports fans - all Sky Sports and BT Sport channels available
- With Sky Cinema and box office films available, it’s good for film buffs
- Catch-up TV, including BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, available with all packages
- Thousands of hours of on demand TV box sets and music videos that you can watch any time
- Netflix, YouTube and loads more apps available on TV 360 box
- Virgin TV Go included with all TV packages - watch live TV and on demand shows on phone and PC
- Can set recordings and manage your set top box remotely via web browser or smartphone
- Available with Virgin Media fibre optic broadband - the fastest speeds available in the UK
- Special offers regularly available - compare packages to see what’s around right now
What’s bad about Virgin Media TV?
- One of the more expensive subscription TV services in the UK
- Limited availability for broadband and TV bundles - you’ll need to check your postcode to make sure Virgin Media operates in your area
- Cheapest option doesn’t contain any Sky entertainment channels, making it not massively superior to standard Freeview
- No Sky Atlantic available, so no access to the channel's exclusive hot US shows
- The on-demand box sets that you can watch are dependent on your package - some listed may be unavailable
Our latest Virgin Media TV deals
What can I get from Virgin Media TiVo and the Virgin Media V HD box?
Virgin no longer offers TiVo nor V HD boxes. All new customers now get its top-of-the-range latest bit of tech - the Virgin TV 360 box.
What else can I get from Virgin Media?
Want more than just telly? Here's what else Virgin Media offers: