If you’re after breakneck-speed broadband that can download files in a jiffy, take a look at Virgin Media’s fibre optic broadband packages.
As the UK's fastest widely available broadband provider, Virgin Media is ideal for households with a lot of people, online gamers and film buffs who insist on Ultra HD.
What can I get from Virgin Media fibre optic broadband?
- M50 - average 54Mbps download speed
- M100 - average 108Mbps download speed
- M200 - average 213Mbps download speed
- M350- average 362Mbps download speed
- M500 - average 516Mbps download speed
They all come with unlimited downloads, so you can stream HD video, play games, and download big files without having to worry about a usage cap. They're also all available on a one-month rolling contract or an 18-month contract.
Virgin Media's Super Hub router comes as standard with all packages. True to its name, you’ll get a super strong wireless signal and a speedy service lots of devices are connected simultaneously. It also features wireless encryption technology to keep hackers at bay.
Web Safe security is free with all broadband packages. This has two main features: Child Safe (to block sites you don’t want the kids to see, such as adult material or violence) and Virus Safe (to block sites known to contain viruses, scams, phishing, and so on). They work at a network level so they’ll apply to any device connected to your Wi-Fi.
And not only that, you’ll also get F-Secure SAFE free of charge for a year. This internet security software can be installed on up to five devices - including PCs, Macs, phones, and tablets - and will give your gadgets protection from viruses and scam sites.
Finally, with every Virgin Media broadband package you’ll also get:
- Virgin Media Mail - Ten free email addresses with 7.4GB of storage in your mailbox
- Wi-Fi on the London Underground - Use your Virgin Media account to log onto hotspots at over 250 tube stations
You can get Virgin Media fibre optic broadband on its own or pick up a bundle with phone, TV, and mobile.
Remember that Virgin Media isn’t available everywhere just yet. Use our postcode checker to see the best broadband deals in your area.
What’s good about Virgin Media fibre optic?
- Superfast speeds - average speed of more than 500Mbps with M500 service
- Can get a standalone broadband-only package with no need to pay line rental
- Available on 30-day contracts
- Unlimited downloads, so you needn’t worry about hitting a usage cap
- Superfast speeds are perfect for streaming movies and TV on services like BBC iPlayer and Netflix with minimal interruptions
- Great for gamers - less lag when playing online and download updates and extra content quickly, so you can spend more time playing than waiting to play
- Speeds are great for families or large households, as everyone can connect on different devices without speeds becoming unusable
- Nine-month contracts available for student households
- Fibre is available with Virgin Media TV - one of the most comprehensive TV options available in the UK.
- Safe - wireless encryption makes you difficult to hack, Web Safe lets you block sites you don’t want the kids seeing, and F-Secure SAFE protects your devices from viruses and spyware
- Can self-install if there’s been a Virgin Media connection in your home before - no need for an engineer to come to your home
- Lots of extras thrown in free of charge, including email addresses, and photo prints
What’s bad about Virgin Media fibre optic?
- Fibre not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see what you can get where you are
- Not the cheapest available - a provider like Plusnet or TalkTalk may do a better value deal
- Costly installation fees can apply in some case
How does it compare?
Virgin Media fibre is some of the fastest out there, with average download speeds of 516Mbps on the M500 package. And although Virgin Media broadband isn't available everywhere, it's much more widely available than ultrafast broadband from BT, Sky, Hyperoptic and more.
Read more: BT vs Virgin Media broadband.
Read more: Virgin Media vs Sky TV.
Our latest Virgin Media fibre deals
What else can I get from Virgin Media?
Want more than just broadband? Here's what else Virgin Media has to offer:
- Virgin Media TV
- Virgin Media home phone
- Virgin Media packages
- Virgin Media TiVo
- Virgin Media deals and offers
- Virgin Media Business broadband
How much is Virgin Media fibre broadband?
Virgin Media's fibre broadband and home phone and standalone fibre broadband packages generally start at comparable prices to rival providers. The difference is that if you choose Virgin Media, you'll generally get a faster service for the same sort of price.
Can I get Virgin Media fibre in my area?
Virgin Media isn't available everywhere, although if you're in a large town or city you're almost certain to be able to get it. To find out if it's available where you live, use our postcode checker.
Can I get Virgin Media fibre to the premises broadband?
Virgin Media's cable broadband service, which uses fibre optic to deliver broadband to your exchange and then coaxial cables for the journey to your home, is widely available. However, its full fibre service, which offers speeds of 8Gbps, is restricted to certain locations. To find out what's available in your area, use our postcode checker.
Is Virgin Media fibre any good?
Virgin Media has a lot to recommend it, not least because it's the UK's fastest household-name broadband provider, with speeds on its fastest widely available product that are five times faster than BT and Sky.
It also offers the advantage of being available without a landline, is competitively priced and you can sign up for a 30-day contract, if you're not minded to commit to a longer term.
The downside is that Virgin Media fibre isn't quite as widely available as rival providers.
What speed can I get with Virgin Media fibre?
The fastest widely available speed on Virgin Media is 516Mbps, which is the average you can expect if you sign up for its M500 product. Virgin Media's cheapest package is M50 and offers an average speed of 54Mbps.
Does Virgin Media fibre include line rental?
Virgin Media is one of the few providers that doesn't require you to take a landline to sign up for its broadband. If you want a landline too, however, Virgin Media also offers broadband and home phone bundles that are priced broadly in line with the likes of BT and Sky.