About Virgin Media fibre optic broadband
If you’re after breakneck-speed broadband that can download files in a jiffy, take a look at Virgin Media’s (www.virginmedia.com) fibre optic broadband packages. With the fastest broadband in the UK, it’s ideal for households with a lot of people, or heavy users like film fans and gamers. And since Virgin Media does TV and mobile too, it’s easy to find a great deal on a bundle.
What can I get from Virgin Media fibre optic broadband?
All Virgin Media’s broadband packages are fibre optic, which means they’re incredibly fast. You can choose between four options:
- VIVID 100 - download speeds up to 100Mb
- VIVID 200 - download speeds up to 200Mb
- VIVID 300 - download speeds up to 300Mb
- VIVID 200 Gamer - download speeds up to 200Mb and upload speeds up to 20Mb
They all come with unlimited downloads, so you can stream HD video, play games, and download big files without having to worry about a usage cap. They're also all available on either 12-month contracts or a rolling one-month plan.
Virgin Media does, however, manage web traffic at certain times of the day, in which the speed of some activities (such as filesharing) is limited, to ensure all customers get a stable speed. That means you’ll always get consistent service, but you may see slightly slower download speeds at peak times - although, ‘slower than 200Mb’ is still pretty darn fast. Traffic management doesn't apply to the Gamer package though, so you can play as much as you like without getting slowed down.
Another thing about Virgin Media broadband that won’t let you down is its Super Hub router. True to its name, you’ll get a super strong wireless signal for super a speedy connection, and it can handle loads of devices at once - plus wireless encryption technology to keep hackers at bay.
You’ll also get Web Safe with all broadband packages and bundles, which has two main features: Child Safe (to block sites you don’t want the kids to see, like adult material or violence) and Virus Safe (to block sites known to contain viruses, scams, phishing, and so on). They work at a network level so they’ll apply to any device connected to your Wi-Fi.
And not only that, you’ll also get F-Secure SAFE free of charge for a year. This internet security software can be installed on up to five devices - including PCs, Macs, phones, and tablets - and will give your gadgets protection from viruses and dodgy scam sites.
Want even more extras? You got it. With every Virgin Media broadband package you’ll also get:
- Virgin Media Mail - Ten free email addresses with 7.4GB of storage in your mailbox
- Wi-Fi on the London Underground - Use your Virgin Media account to log onto hotspots at over 100 tube stations
- 100 free Snapfish photo prints every month
You can get Virgin Media fibre optic broadband as broadband-only or pick up a bundle with phone, TV, and mobile as well.
Remember that Virgin Media isn’t available everywhere just yet. Use our postcode checker to see the best broadband deals in your area.
What’s good about Virgin Media fibre optic?
- Superfast speeds - 100Mb, 200Mb, or the lightning quick 300Mb
- Can get a standalone broadband-only package that doesn’t affect your phone line (or even require line rental)
- Available on 30-day contracts
- Unlimited downloads, so you needn’t worry about hitting a usage cap
- Superfast speeds are perfect for streaming movies and TV on services like BBC iPlayer and Netflix with minimal interruptions
- Great for gamers, especially the Gamer package - less lag when playing online and download updates and extra content quickly, so you can spend more time playing than waiting to play
- Speeds are great for families or large households, as everyone can connect on different devices without speeds becoming unusable
- Nine-month contracts available for student households
- Fibre is available with Virgin Media TV - one of the most comprehensive TV options available in the UK.
- Safe - wireless encryption makes you difficult to hack, Web Safe lets you block sites you don’t want the kids seeing, and F-Secure SAFE protects your devices from viruses and spyware
- Can self-install if there’s been a Virgin Media connection in your home before - no need for an engineer to come to your home
- Lots of extras thrown in free of charge, including email addresses, and photo prints
What’s bad about Virgin Media fibre optic?
- Fibre not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see what you can get where you are
- Not the cheapest available - a provider like Plusnet or TalkTalk may do a better value deal
- Isn’t truly unlimited - Virgin Media manages web traffic which can slow down your connection at peak times
- Costly installation fees can apply in some cases
- Limited public Wi-Fi - rivals like BT that offer similar packages also have free Wi-Fi hotspots for their customers
How does it compare?
Virgin Media fibre is some of the fastest out there, with download speeds of up to 300Mb that can’t be reached with BT Infinity, Sky, TalkTalk, or Plusnet connections. However, it’s also not as widely available, since the cable network doesn’t reach everywhere just yet.
BT Infinity is a pretty close rival to Virgin Media fibre, with some similar extras on offer. Bundle-wise, however, Virgin Media has a lot more to offer in terms of TV and package deals.
Sky, on the other hand, features more TV in its basic bundles. But when we’re looking at internet alone, Virgin Media wins out in terms of the extras included in your package - things like email addresses. That said, Sky customers have access to more public Wi-Fi hotspots.
TalkTalk and Plusnet both have more affordable packages on all counts - but since they favour simplicity, neither pack in as many extras or offer as many options as Virgin Media does. Their TV packages are pretty thin as well, as are their mobile plans… which Plusnet doesn’t even offer at all.