Is EE broadband any good?
EE (www.ee.co.uk) is known for its super quick and wide-reaching 4G, but it delivers speedy broadband right into our home too - at prices that won’t break the bank. Read on to find out what it’s got to offer.
What can I get from EE broadband?
Broadband and line rental
There are three broadband packages available from EE, each with a different download speed:
- Broadband - Average 10Mb download speed. A standard ADSL connection fast enough for browsing and watching EE TV.
- Fibre Broadband - Average 36Mb download speed. Superfast fibre optic broadband that lets you stream video, download files quickly, and connect lots of devices at once.
- Fibre Plus Broadband - Average speed of 67Mb. Ideal for a large household, full of people who want to use the web.
All packages come with unlimited downloads, so you can browse and stream as much as you want without hitting a usage cap, and an router. That's an EE Bright Box with ADSL, or a more powerful EE Smart Hub with fibre packages. You’ll also get a year’s free trial of Norton Online Security to keep up to 10 devices safe.
You’ll also get EE line rental included too, which you can upgrade to a proper home phone package. Here your options are:
- Line rental only - The standard line rental from EE, with pay-as-you-use calls at standard rates.
- Anytime calls to landlines - Adds anytime calls to UK landlines.
- Anytime calls to landlines and mobiles - Adds anytime calls to UK landlines, and 1500 minutes to UK mobiles.
- Anytime UK and international calls - Adds anytime calls to UK landlines, 1500 minutes to UK mobiles, anytime calls to landlines in 50 select countries, and a discount to landlines in the rest of the world.
All include a few calling features, such as voicemail. You can add Call Plus too, which adds even more - such as call divert, three-way calling, and anonymous call rejection.
Whatever broadband and landline options you choose, a few extras are thrown in as well. There’s the chance to win tickets to events at Wembley Stadium - and access to fast 4G while you’re there - and up to £50 to help with early termination fees from your current provider if you’re switching.
If you've got a pay-monthly EE plan on your mobile too, taking out broadband will get you an extra 5GB on your data allowance each month - now that's what we call a bonus.
Broadband customers can also get EE TV included too. With an EE TV box on your telly, you’ll get 70 free channels - 13 of which are HD - and you can pause, rewind, and record up to 600 hours. It’s also got apps for a bunch of on demand services, including BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, NOW TV, YouTube, and Wuaki.tv.
EE offers a huge range of mobile services. There are SIM-only deals, pay as you go plans, data-only SIMs for tablets, and of course a broad selection of handsets to choose from - including some of the latest flagships like iPhones and Samsung Galaxies. 4G plans from EE are particularly useful, given that the network is known for its fast speeds and wide coverage.
Plus, if you get broadband from EE, the provider will give you an extra 5GB of data on your mobile plan too.
What’s good about EE broadband?
- Prices are affordable, with line rental some of the best value around
- Superfast fibre optic available - perfect for shared households and heavy users
- Lots of home phone options, including inclusive anytime calls and cheap international rates
- EE TV lets you pause, rewind, and record live TV, and watch it from various devices
- Extra 5GB monthly mobile data when you take out broadband
- Unlimited downloads on all broadband packages
- EE Bright Box or Smart Hub router included - two good pieces of tech
- Internet security included in the form of a one-year Norton trial
What’s bad about EE broadband?
- Fibre optic broadband has limited availability - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area
- No broadband-only or landline-only packages - broadband-with-landline is the only thing available
- EE TV is limited, with no extra channels outside of the standard Freeview
- Even faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- Basic line rental doesn't include any calls
- Since EE manages web traffic, your connection may slow at peak times
See our full EE broadband review for more.
Providers like EE
Take a look at our guides to other broadband, home phone, and TV services as well, and compare all your options: