Are SSE broadband deals shockingly good value?
You may be surprised that SSE, or Southern Electric, Hydro, and SWALEC, as it’s also known, does more than just power. But then again what’s in a name - broadbandchoices also does mobile phone comparison, right?
SSE burst onto the scene with great value broadband packages that eschew fancy bells and whistles in favour of simplicity and cheap broadband deals. With unlimited downloads, superfast speeds, and some appealing home phone options too, there’s plenty to choose from.
Want to know if it’s the right provider to switch to? Well, bright sparks that we are, we’ll take a look at some of SSE’s current packages to see if they’re worth being charged for.
…because electricity, see? Sigh, okay, let’s just get on with it.
What does SSE do?
SSE has a number of broadband and home phone packages, which range from simple ‘everyday’ plans, to fibre optic options with superfast speeds. All packages give you the equipment you need, including a free wireless router, and include an 18-month subscription to an internet security package, comprising anti-virus, firewall, and parental controls.
Choosing a broadband package from SSE also gives you access to SSE Rewards, which offers priority tickets to events at SSE venues, including Wembly Arena, the Hydro Glasgow and Hydro Belfast. You can also get discounts on entry to attractions around the UK.
SSE broadband packages
There are four basic broadband and phone bundles available from SSE. Its standard ‘Everyday’ broadband packages are solid, reliable and offer unlimited downloads - so you can use the internet willy nilly.
Its fibre optic broadband packages offer much faster download speeds than the others, making them perfect for large families or shared houses where people will be using the web at the same time. They’re also the best choice for heavy users who watch a lot of online video or play games, for example.
- SSE Everyday Broadband with Talk Evening & Weekends - gives you download speeds of up to 17Mb and unlimited downloads. Also includes weekend calls between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday and evening calls from 7pm to 7am weekdays.
- SSE Everyday Broadband with Talk Anytime - gives you download speeds of up to 17Mb and unlimited downloads. Also includes local and national calls at any time.
- SSE Everyday Broadband with Talk Anytime Plus - gives you speeds of up to 17Mb and unlimited downloads. Also includes local and national calls at any time as well as 20 international countries.
- SSE Superfast Fibre Broadband with Talk Evening & Weekend - gives you speeds of up to 38Mb and unlimited downloads. Also includes weekend calls between midnight Friday and midnight Sunday and evening calls from 7pm to 7am weekdays.
SSE home phone packages
If you want a good call plan, SSE has a few to pick from:
- Talk Weekend - gives you inclusive calls between midnight on Friday and midnight on Sunday. Even better - there’s no cost other than standard line rental.
- Talk Evening and Weekend - gives you inclusive calls before 7am and after 7pm, Monday to Friday, and inclusive calls all weekend.
- Talk Anytime - gives you inclusive calls at any time. It also gives you inclusive calls to 20 international destinations (listed below).
- Talk Anytime Plus - gives you everything in the Talk Anytime package, including inclusive international calls, but also features half price calls to UK mobiles.
Inclusive calls last for 70 minutes - if you go over, you’ll start being charged. So if you’re a chatterbox, remember to hang up after an hour and call back.
The international locations included in the Talk Anytime and Talk Anytime Plus plans are Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the USA.
What’s good about SSE?
- Good range of packages to suit different users
- Superfast fibre packages available - perfect for large households and heavy users
- Straightforward, easy to understand packages
- Unlimited downloads mean you can use your connection freely
- Includes free 18-month subscription to internet security package
- Cheaper line rental than many other providers, including BT
- UK-based customer service
- Discount on SSE energy bill if you take 18 month broadband contract
- Access to SSE Reward scheme, which gives discounts on attractions, and early tickets to music, comedy and sports events at major arenas, including Wembly, Glasgow and Belfast.
- Choice of call plans, including inclusive anytime calls
- Anytime call packages give you inclusive international calls to 20 countries