You may be surprised that SSE, or Southern Electric, Hydro, and SWALEC, as it’s also known, does more than just power. But then again what’s in a name - broadbandchoices also does mobile phone comparison, right?
SSE burst onto the scene with great value broadband packages that eschew fancy bells and whistles in favour of simplicity and cheap broadband deals. With unlimited downloads, superfast speeds, and some appealing home phone options too, there’s plenty to choose from.
Want to know if it’s the right provider to switch to? Well, bright sparks that we are, we’ll take a look at some of SSE’s current packages to see if they’re worth being charged for.
…because electricity, see? Sigh, okay, let’s just get on with it.
What does SSE do?
SSE has a number of broadband and home phone packages, which range from simple ‘everyday’ plans, to fibre optic options with superfast speeds. All packages give you the equipment you need, including a free wireless router, and include a subscription to an internet security package, comprising anti-virus, firewall, and parental controls.
Choosing a broadband package from SSE also gives you access to SSE Rewards, which offers priority tickets to events at SSE venues, including Wembly Arena, the Hydro Glasgow and Hydro Belfast.
SSE broadband packages
There are three basic broadband packages available from SSE. They're solid, reliable, and offer unlimited downloads - so you can use the internet willy nilly.
Its fibre optic broadband packages offer much faster download speeds than the others, making them perfect for large families or shared houses where people will be using the web at the same time. They’re also the best choice for heavy users who watch a lot of online video or play games, for example.
- Unlimited Fibre - gives you average speeds of 35Mb and unlimited downloads.
- Unlimited Fibre Plus - gives you even faster broadband, with average speeds of 63Mb, again with unlimited downloads.
SSE home phone packages
- Line Rental Only - gives you a landline with pay-as-you-go calls. It comes with all broadband packages, and there’s no cost other than standard line rental.
- Anytime Landline - gives you inclusive calls at any time to UK landlines.
- Anytime Plus - inclusive calls all day, and inclusive international calls to 35 countries.
Inclusive calls last for 70 minutes - if you go over, you’ll start being charged. So if you’re a chatterbox, remember to hang up after an hour and call back.
The international locations included in Talk Anytime Plus plans are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the USA.
What’s good about SSE?
- Good range of packages to suit different users
- Superfast fibre packages available - perfect for large households and heavy users
- Straightforward, easy to understand packages
- Unlimited downloads mean you can use your connection freely
- UK-based customer service
- No connection fees
- Access to SSE Reward scheme, which gives discounts on attractions, and early tickets to music, comedy and sports events at major arenas, including Wembley, Glasgow and Belfast.
- Choice of call plans, including inclusive anytime calls
- Top calls package give you inclusive international calls to 35 countries
What’s bad about SSE?
- Fibre optic broadband not available everywhere
- Faster download speeds are available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- No TV service to bundle in
- Not much in the way of extras or perks
Providers like SSE Broadband
SSE Broadband isn't your only choice. To compare all your options, take a look at our guides to other broadband and line rental providers too: