Post Office broadband - what can I get?
The Post Office is no longer just somewhere to mail your letters. Times have changed since the Penny Black was around, and the organisation now offers broadband and home phone packages at great value.
Its deals are simple and straightforward, with just a couple to choose from. Read on for a closer look at what our favourite delivery service has to offer.
What can I get from Post Office?
Broadband and home phone
There are two simple packages available from the Post Office:
- HomePhone - Post Office’s imaginatively named line rental, which includes weekend calls to UK landlines.
- HomePhone and Broadband Premium - Home phone and broadband with up to 17Mb download speeds and unlimited downloads. You can browse and download as much as you want, but if lots of people are connected at once - or if you’re doing a heavy task, like online gaming or streaming HD video - you may struggle to get reliable speeds.
Line rental on all three packages comes with inclusive weekend calls - though you can upgrade it to include anytime calls. There are also options to add mobile minutes, anytime international calls to 40 top countries, and calling features. Call barring, caller display, withhold number, and voicemail are included free of charge anyway, but others, such as call divert and voicemail plus, carry an extra monthly fee. You can also nominate 10 UK numbers as your ‘Loved Ones’ and get discounted calls whenever you phone them.
Post Office broadband comes with up to five free email addresses, and the HomePhone and Broadband Premium package even comes with Post Office SafeGuard. This includes firewall, anti-virus protection, and parental controls, to help keep your connection safe.
Post Office manages web traffic, which means you’ll always have a stable connection but it may slow at peak times - particularly if you’re doing certain tasks, such as file sharing.
To find out what broadband and home phone packages you can get in your area, use our postcode checker and take a look at your options.
What’s good about Post Office?
- Very affordable packages - among the cheapest available in the UK
- Packages are simple and easy to understand
- HomePhone and Broadband Premium package comes with Post Office SafeGuard, so your computer will be protected from malware
- Options for cheaper calls to favourite numbers, mobiles, and international destinations
- Fairly wide availability - but always use our postcode checker to see if it’s available where you are
What’s bad about Post Office?
- There's no fibre optic broadband, so you won’t get download speeds above 17Mb
- No broadband-only packages, only one that includes line rental too
- Not as many calling features on home phone as some providers
- Post Office manages web traffic, so your connection may slow at peak times
- Not really any extras, like the cloud storage or mobile apps offered by other providers such as Sky and TalkTalk
- No TV