Sheffield-based Plusnet has built a strong customer base by specialising in affordable, straightforward broadband packages and strong UK-based customer service. It’s owned by BT, but run independently, so it differs quite a bit from its parent company.
Let's take a look at everything you can get from Plusnet - from fibre optic broadband to BT Sport.
What does Plusnet do?
Plusnet does it all: broadband, fast fibre optic broadband, home phone, mobile deals, and maybe even TV for some lucky customers.
With Plusnet, you can choose between basic ADSL broadband with average download speeds of 10Mb, or its faster fibre sibling. Whichever one you choose, you'll get totally unlimited downloads and a free router. In the case of the standard ADSL broadband, that's a Plusnet Hub Zero router. Moreover, when you take out a broadband contract with Plusnet, your internet and line rental costs will be fixed for the minimum term of your contract.
Plusnet also does broadband-only packages - in other words, packages that don’t include calls. However, you’ll need an active BT landline to be able to get one, so you’ll still have to pay line rental - either to Plusnet or another provider.
Plusnet fibre optic broadband
Super speedy fibre optic broadband is available from Plusnet in two forms: one package with average speeds of 36Mb, and another with average speeds of 66Mb. Both come with truly unlimited downloads, a Plusnet Hub One router, and internet security in the form of Plusnet Safeguard.
Again, you can get it bundled with a landline, or on its own with line rental from another provider.
Plusnet home phone
All broadband packages are available with a home phone package. You get basic line rental included as standard, so you can make PAYG calls, but if you have a more talkative household you can upgrade for an extra charge. Those upgrades include the option to add evening and weekend calls, unlimited anytime calls, or cheaper international calls.
Sadly you can't get a Plusnet phone line on its own - you'll get it bundled in with its broadband.
Certain Plusnet customers also have the option to get TV from the provider as well - though unfortunately that doesn't include everyone just yet.
Onto your broadband package, you may be able to add a YouView box, which gives you more than 70 Freeview channels, 20 extra entertainment channels, BT Sport Lite, and tons to watch on-demand too.
BT Sport on Plusnet
You can now get BT Sport on Plusnet. Take out a YouView box with your broadband package for some basic TV, and you'll get BT Sport 1 included free; or, add on the full pack for £5 per month.
If you don't have Plusnet TV but you do have a Sky set-top box and satellite dish, for an additional £9.99 a month you can get BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport 3, and ESPN. And for another £2.50 a month, you can have them in sparkly, pin-sharp HD.
Adding BT Sport to Sky TV through Plusnet costs way less than what it costs to do it through BT if you haven’t got BT broadband. Once you’re signed up to Plusnet broadband, get in touch with the provider to add BT Sport.
BT Sport has exclusive live rights for 38 Barclays Premier League matches a season, and has dibs on 18 of them. It also has live football from the Champions League, A-League, Brasileirao, Bundesliga, FA Cup, Ligue 1, MLS, Serie A, UEFA Europa League and more.
There’s also other live sports, including WTA tennis, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) events and MotoGP racing. For more information, check out our guide to BT Sport.
Like its broadband (and home phone, and TV, and… well, everything), Plusnet's mobile arm is cheap as chips. You can get low-price SIM-only deals, complete with 4G and excellent coverage. Best of all, if you're a Plusnet broadband customer, you'll get access to special mates rates on mobile plans.
What’s good about Plusnet?
- Specialises in affordable broadband
- Broadband and line rental fixed for the length of minimum contract term
- Unlimited broadband, with no download limits
- Special offers and vouchers regularly available
- Highly-regarded UK-based customer service
- Mates rates on Plusnet Mobile deals for broadband customers
- YouView TV available to existing customers
- BT Sport available to watch online and via app. Also available on YouView
- Broadband-only option available - although you need an active phone line to be able to get it
- Free Plusnet Hub Zero or Plusnet Hub One with broadband packages
- Pay less for line rental by paying a year’s-worth upfront
What’s bad about Plusnet?
- Fibre optic broadband not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Access to BT Sport costs extra (may be included with special offers)
- Not much in the way of extras - favours simple and affordable over bells and whistles
- Heavier users may be better served elsewhere, as there are faster packages available from other providers - such as Virgin Media
See our full Plusnet review for more.
More providers like Plusnet
Want to compare your options? Have a look at our guides to other broadband and TV services as well: