If there’s one thing Sheffield's Plusnet (www.plus.net) does best, it’s affordable, straightforward phone and broadband packages. Owned by BT (www.bt.com) but operated independently, its home phone options are super easy to understand - and they come with a few extra features too. Let’s take a look.
What can I get with Plusnet phone?
The main phone packages are:
- Weekends - The basic line rental package with standard broadband bundles. Includes weekend calls to UK landlines.
- Evenings and Weekends - The basic line rental with fibre optic broadband bundles, or an upgrade you can add to a standard broadband package. Includes calls to UK landlines in the evenings (7am-7pm) as well as at weekends.
- Anytime - Upgrade to add anytime calls to UK landlines, 24/7.
- Anytime International 300 - Add 300 anytime minutes each month to 35 international destinations, including the USA, India, France, and Australia, as well as anytime calls to UK landlines.
The weekend and evening calls include numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03, 0845, and 0870, though some exceptions apply. And watch out - calls that last over an hour become chargeable, so remember to hang up at the 59-minute mark and phone back.
All phone packages include free calls to other Plusnet landlines, and you’ve also got the option to add 100 anytime minutes to UK mobiles.
A bunch of calling features are included as standard too. They are:
- Call return 1471
- Withhold number 141
- Voicemail 1571
- Ring back
- Reminder call
- Conference calling
Bear in mind that ring back, reminder call, and conference calling will cost a few pence for each use.
As well as those, there are extra features you can add onto your monthly bill. These are:
- Caller display
- Reminder call (unlimited use)
- Call waiting
- Call divert
- Ring back (unlimited use)
- Voicemail Extra (for additional settings, such as the ability to check your messages from any phone or get SMS alerts)
- Anonymous call reject
To save even more money, Plusnet also offers call feature bundles, in which you can add up to five of those features into a single handy package for a reduced price. However, note that Voicemail Extra and Anonymous call reject can’t be included in a bundle.
All the calling features - and feature bundles - can be added or removed whenever you want, though it usually takes a day or two for them to go live.
What’s good about Plusnet phone?
- Specialises in affordable, easy-to-understand packages, with some of the cheapest line rental in the UK
- Weekend calls to UK landlines included as standard in basic package - and evening calls as well if you’re a fibre customer
- Top-notch reputation for customer service, backed up by Ofcom
- Including line rental in your package gives you a discount on broadband, along with free activation and installation
- Can save money by paying a year’s line rental upfront
- Can add to an existing broadband package if you think it’ll give you a better deal
What’s bad about Plusnet phone?
- Only available as part of a bundle with broadband - can’t get a landline-only deal
- Plusnet not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if your area can get it
- Not many extras, since Plusnet is committed to keeping things simple
- Calling features are limited compared to some providers, such as BT
- Number of mobile minutes you can add is limited