Should I get a one-month SIM-only plan?
Some SIM-only plans - mobile contracts that consist of just a SIM that you can put in your own phone - last a year, but you can get some that are only for a month. Some are labelled '30 days', while others say 'one month', but they're essentially the same thing.
Most are rolling contracts, meaning that they continue after the month ends, so you'll barely notice that you're on shorter terms.
Why get a 30-day SIM-only plan?
The best part of a 30-day plan is the flexibility it gives you. You're not tied in to a year-long commitment, so you're free to stop, start, or change the tariffs on your plan whenever you want - with no penalty whatsoever. That makes it ideal if you want to try out different allowances, or get a plan to use short-term. You might not even need a credit check to get one.
The only drawback is that you'll need to already own a handset, or buy a new one outright. And, if you're concerned about costs, 12-month SIM-only plans tend to ultimately be better value - even with identical tariffs, a month on a 12-month plan is usually a bit cheaper.
Which providers offer 30-day SIM-only plans?
- Asda Mobile offers good value deals from our favourite good value supermarket. All its SIMs are pay-as-you-go, but you can buy rolling 30-day allowances of calls, texts, and data - which is pretty much the same as any other 30-day SIM.
- EE is the UK's biggest mobile network with the fastest 4G. It costs more than some providers, but with a 30-day plan from EE you'll get amazing coverage, speeds, and flexibility.
- FreedomPop has the cheapest SIM-only deals around… because its basic tariff is absolutely free. If that allowance (200MB data, 200 minutes, 200 texts) isn't enough, you can go up to a premium tariff whenever you want - it's only a 30-day plan, after all.
- iD , Carphone Warehouse's resident network, is pretty good on the value front too. Tariffs are low-price, 4G is included, and it's not half bad for roaming abroad either - even on just a 30-day plan.
- O2 offers 30-day SIM plans with a ton of extras and perks. There's Priority for tickets to gigs and events, discounts for high street shops, and free use of O2 Wi-Fi hotspots across the country.
- Plusnet Mobile is another excellent value network with 30-day plans. It's got a small selection of straightforward tariffs to choose from with little difference in price, and with each plan you can add a 'smart cap' so you don't spend too much outside of your allowance.
- Talkmobile doesn't have many extras attached to its 30-day SIMs, but that means no extra costs either. It's a fantastic choice for simple, straightforward and reliable value that doesn't even come close to breaking the bank.
- TalkTalk Mobile SIMs are only available for existing TalkTalk customers, but if that's you, it's a good chance to snap up a nicely priced deal. You'll get double the data allowance if you sign up online, too.
- Three is one of the very few networks to offer plans with unlimited data - even on a 30-day basis. Your choice of tariffs with Three is pretty extensive, and with the Feel At Home scheme you can use your allowance in 42 countries worldwide.
- TPO Mobile (aka The People's Operator) offers some of the more socially conscious 30-day SIMs. 10% of what you pay each month goes to a charity of your choice, and costs are low on top of that. And it uses EE's network, so coverage is great.
- Virgin Mobile has a 'flexible freestyle' scheme that makes things super flexible when you take out a plan on its network. You can switch your plan up at will, and there are tariffs available that include loads of data. You can even rollover your unused data allowance to the next month.
- Vodafone 's 30-day plans aren't the cheapest, but there's a nice wide choice of tariffs - you'll almost certainly find the exact right plan for you. If you're not sure what that is, you can always try the network's Data Test Drive - unlimited data for two months, to work out what you use.
To find the right one-month plan for you, compare deals with our tool above. Pick the allowances you want and any other requirements, and we'll show you a huge range of available deals.