Lebara Mobile SIM-only deals explained
While Lebara mobile does not have a huge selection of SIM-only plans, it does offer some good reasonably-priced tariffs at the lower end of data allowances, minutes and texts. Where it really shines is for international calls - all plans include international minutes.
Those customers with friends and family here in the UK also get free calls and texts to UK Lebara numbers.
In this guide, we'll take you through what you get from Lebara mobile, and how to choose a SIM deal.
What SIM-only deals can I get from Lebara mobile?
Monthly allowances range from 1GB data with 500 minutes and 100 texts, up to 10GB with unlimited minutes and 100 texts.
SIMs are available on one-month contracts; and all Lebara mobile SIM-only plans include either 100 or 500 international minutes.
SIMs are available on either 12-month or one-month contracts, each of which come with their own advantages. Longer term 12-month plans cost less per month, and higher allowances are available; while one-month deals give you more flexibility.
Perks and benefits
- All Lebara mobile SIM-only plans include either 100 or 500 international minutes
- Keep in touch with your friends and family with free calls and texts to UK Lebara numbers
- No notice periods - you can cancel at any time
- Look out for introductory discounts for new customers
How to compare Lebara mobile SIM-only deals
Comparing Lebara mobile SIM deals is easy - just use the table at the top of this page. You can see all the deals together, compare what you can get, and filter them down so you only see the ones that suit what you need.
Think about things like:
- Allowance - how much data and how many minutes and texts do you need per month? Take a look at our guide to data usage if you're not sure.
- Contract length - all Lebara mobile SIM-only deals are one-month plans
- Price - if you have a budget, choose the maximum you want to pay each month in the cost filter
Click on the deal you like best, and we'll take you to Lebara's website so you can sign up and get started.
If you're not convinced Lebara mobile is the network you want, that's no problem - you can compare its deals right next to those from other providers too. Just select the networks whose SIMs you'd like to see and we'll show you the lot. Or, compare all SIM deals here.
Can I get an unlimited data Lebara mobile SIM?
No, we're afraid unlimited data isn't available with Lebara mobile. The maximum monthly data allowance you can get is 10GB, on a one-month contract. That's a decent amount of data - enough to watch videos or TV (Netflix, YouTube, Sky Go) over 4G a few times a week. However, if you don't think 10GB is enough, consider the unlimited and big data options from other networks instead.
What's the cheapest Lebara mobile SIM-only deal?
The cheapest mobile SIM deal you can get from Lebara mobile is a one-month plan that comes with 1GB data, 500 minutes, and 100 texts per month. This plan also includes 500 international minutes, as well as unlimited mins and unlimited texts to UK Lebara numbers.
Lebara mobile's cheaper deals are pretty good value with their data allowances of 3GB and 4GB, and the inclusion of either 500 or 100 international minutes.
To find the cheapest deal that fits your use, use our comparison table. Adjust the filters to make sure you only see SIMs that have enough monthly allowance for you, and then sort the whole table by monthly cost. You'll see the lowest-priced deals right at the top.
You'll generally find that 12-month plans work out cheaper per month than 30-day ones, so it's worth the commitment if you really want to save money. And sometimes there are limited time deals that are worth pouncing on - keep a beady eye out for those.
Is a Lebara mobile SIM deal cheaper than a phone contract?
Yes - it's almost always cheaper in the long run to buy a phone outright and take out a SIM-only deal.
As all Lebara mobile SIM-only deals are one-month plans, if you do want the benefits of a longer contract (like lower upfront costs, a nice new phone in your hand today, and free screen replacements), it’s worth seeing what other networks offer.
Can I upgrade a Lebara mobile SIM-only deal?
Yes, you can. With Lebara mobile's SIM-only one-month plans, it's easy to switch tariffs every month.
Can I keep my number if I switch to a Lebara mobile SIM-only deal?
Yes - it's almost always possible to keep your current phone number when you switch to a new network.
1) Choose a new SIM-only plan - compare deals and sign up to one that you like the look of. Your SIM will be sent through the post to you. While you're waiting…
2) Contact your current provider and request your PAC (porting authorisation code) - you can request your code in a few ways - online, via text and even by post if you're really old-school. If you phone, they may try to talk you into sticking with them, but stick to your guns if this happens. They'll send you the PAC as a text message within two hours.
3) Give the PAC to your new network - when your new SIM arrives, it will have a new number. To change it to the old one, contact your network and give them the PAC code. They'll take care of porting the number over. It could be as fast as one working day before the old number's transferred, but be aware that on occasion it can take a little more time.
It may sound complicated, but it's very simple in practice. If you want a bit more detail, check out our full guide to keeping your phone number:
What size SIM card do I need?
There are three SIM card sizes you can get:
- Standard SIM card - 15mm x 25mm, commonly used in older feature phones
- Micro SIM card - 12mm x 15mm, used in some smartphones, primarily older models
- Nano SIM card - 8.8m x 12.3mm, used in most modern phones, including popular handsets like the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8
Don't worry if you have no idea which size your phone takes. Most networks will send you a 3-in-1 SIM, designed to fit into any handset. It'll come encased in plastic, and you can pop it out into the size you want.
In other words, don't stress about SIM size when comparing deals. Whichever you choose, the SIM card will fit in your phone.
Does my phone have to be unlocked to use a Lebara mobile SIM?
Some phones are locked onto a particular network, and will need to be unlocked before you can use another company's SIM. Fortunately, this is really easy to do. To find out if your phone is locked, pop in a friend's SIM card - they'll need to be on another network obviously. If it works, then your phone is good to go - otherwise, you'll need to contact your current operator and ask them to unlock it.
Different networks have different rules on unlocking. Some examples are:
- Three - all handsets are unlocked out of the box.
- O2 - phones are locked, but O2 will unlock them for free when you're out of contract. Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will have to pay though.
- Vodafone - phones are locked, but Vodafone will unlock for free.
- EE - phones are locked, but EE will unlock for free - so long as you're out of contract. PAYG customers must wait 12 months after purchasing to unlock.
Those are just the major networks. To find out more about unlocking your mobile, check our full guide:
More SIM-only deals
Take a look at the SIM deals you can get from other providers too:
- Asda Mobile SIM-only deals
- EE SIM-only deals
- giffgaff SIM-only deals
- iD Mobile SIM-only deals
- Plusnet Mobile SIM-only deals
- Sky Mobile SIM-only deals
- Smarty SIM-only deals
- Tesco Mobile SIM-only deals
- Three SIM-only deals
- TPO Mobile SIM-only deals
- Virgin Mobile SIM-only deals
- Vodafone SIM-only deals
- VOXI SIM-only deals