It's the UK's biggest broadband provider, but it's also a top choice for mobile deals too. BT's cellular branch, BT Mobile, has the perfect SIM-only plan for everyone.
BT Mobile uses the BT-owned EE network to make sure you always have good 4G coverage, and it offers loads of extra ways to help you save money. Here's what you can get from the network's range of SIM deals.
What SIM-only deals can I get from BT Mobile?
BT Mobile has just a small range of SIM-only plans, but the tariffs on offer are varied enough to suit anyone. They've all got unlimited calls and texts, and data allowances range from 500MB per month to 20GB. All are on 12-month contracts.
It also peddles amazing value Family SIM plans. With these, you can add more SIM cards with the same allowance onto your bill, and you get some impressive discounts. Adding one extra SIM can give you a discount of between 20-30%, while getting five SIMs can mean up to a 50% discount.
It's perfect if you have multiple people in your home who need a mobile plan - especially as all additional SIMs are on just 30-day terms rather than 12-month.
BT Mobile SIMs are decent value as they are, but they're even better value for anyone with BT broadband and BT Business broadband at home - this will give you an extra £5 discount on your mobile bill every month.
Perks and benefits
Extras and special benefits abound with BT Mobile SIMs, including:
- Great coverage, since it uses EE's network
- Monthly discount for BT broadband customers
- Free BT Sport app with higher-end plans
- Free use of BT Wi-Fi hotspots around the country
- Ability to set monthly spending caps, so you don't get bill shock
How to compare BT Mobile SIM-only deals
Comparing BT Mobile SIM deals is simple: just use our comparison table.
You can see all the available deals in one place, and use the filters to alter it so you only see deals relevant to you. If you want, you can even compare BT Mobile deals alongside plans from other networks too.
When picking a SIM, remember to look at things like:
- Existing customer deals - If you have BT broadband, you qualify for these.
- Monthly data allowance - Choose from between 500MB and 20GB. Remember that all BT SIMs have unlimited calls and texts, so data is the only thing you need to make a decision on.
- Cost - Select a maximum monthly price in the filters if you have a budget.
- Extras - Want the BT Sport app for free? Remember this is only available with higher data plans.
Select the SIM that looks best for you, and we'll take you to BT to sign up. If you're after a Family SIM deal with more SIMs too, it's easy to add these at the checkout.
Can I get an unlimited data BT Mobile SIM?
We're afraid not. The maximum data allowance you can get with BT Mobile is 20GB per month - though that's still a decent bit of data.
It's also worth remembering that all BT Mobile plans give you free use of the provider's five million or so Wi-Fi hotspots around the country. You could potentially do most of your downloading on Wi-Fi - particularly if you live and work in a big town or city.
If that's not an option, of course, and you really do want unlimited data, you may have to look at SIM-only deals from other networks such as Three.
What's the cheapest BT Mobile SIM-only deal?
The lower the monthly allowance, the cheaper the deal - so BT Mobile's cheapest SIM plan is its smallest, which gives you 500MB data per month.
Of course, all its SIMs are cheaper if you have BT broadband at home, which knocks a cool £5 off your mobile bill every month.
You can also save a quite a chunk of cash by choosing a Family SIM plan - a great idea if you need more than one SIM on a similar allowance, as you could potentially save up to 50% overall.
Is a BT Mobile deal cheaper than a phone contract?
Usually, yes. Buying a phone on its own and going SIM-only tends to be cheaper overall than getting a phone on contract. This is the case when you compare similar plans on BT Mobile too - with some phones, you could save a good couple hundreds pounds with choosing the SIM-only route instead.
BT does have a decent range of contract plans, though - they're certainly worth looking at if you'd rather not spend much upfront.
Can I upgrade a BT Mobile SIM-only deal?
BT Mobile doesn't currently have any specific upgrade deals for its mobile customers. However, it's easy enough to upgrade to a different deal as soon as your SIM contract ends, including switching to a phone contract plan. Just browse the network's deals and sign up.
What size SIM do I need?
It doesn't matter! BT Mobile will send you a universal SIM as standard when you order a plan, which includes all three SIM card types. All you have to do is break out the right size for your phone and stick it in.
Can I keep my number if I switch to a BT Mobile SIM-only deal?
Yes - it's almost always possible to keep your current phone number when you switch to a new network.
1) Choose a new SIM-only plan - compare deals and sign up to one that you like the look of. Your SIM will be sent through the post to you. While you're waiting…
2) Contact your current provider and request your PAC (porting authorisation code) - you can request your code in a few ways - online, via text and even by post if you're really old-school. If you phone, they may try to talk you into sticking with them, but stick to your guns if this happens. They'll send you the PAC as a text message within two hours.
3) Give the PAC to your new network - when your new SIM arrives, it will have a new number. To change it to the old one, contact your network and give them the PAC code. They'll take care of porting the number over. It could be as fast as one working day before the old number's transferred, but be aware that on occasion it can take a little more time.
It may sound complicated, but it's very simple in practice. If you want a bit more detail, check out our full guide to keeping your phone number:
Does my phone have to be unlocked to use a BT Mobile SIM?
Some phones are locked onto a particular network, and will need to be unlocked before you can use another company's SIM. Fortunately, this is really easy to do. To find out if your phone is locked, pop in a friend's SIM card - they'll need to be on another network obviously. If it works, then your phone is good to go - otherwise, you'll need to contact your current operator and ask them to unlock it.
Different networks have different rules on unlocking. Some examples are:
- Three - all handsets are unlocked out of the box.
- O2 - phones are locked, but O2 will unlock them for free when you're out of contract. Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will have to pay though.
- Vodafone - phones are locked, but Vodafone will unlock for free.
- EE - phones are locked, but EE will unlock for free - so long as you're out of contract. PAYG customers must wait 12 months after purchasing to unlock.
Those are just the major networks. To find out more about unlocking your mobile, check our full guide:
More SIM-only deals
Take a look at the SIM deals you can get from other providers too:
- Asda Mobile SIM-only deals
- EE SIM-only deals
- giffgaff SIM-only deals
- iD Mobile SIM-only deals
- Lebara Mobile SIM-only deals
- O2 SIM-only deals
- Plusnet Mobile SIM-only deals
- Sky Mobile SIM-only deals
- Smarty SIM-only deals
- Tesco Mobile SIM-only deals
- Three SIM-only deals
- TPO Mobile SIM-only deals
- Virgin Mobile SIM-only deals
- Vodafone SIM-only deals
- VOXI SIM-only deals