Is TalkTalk broadband and TV anything to speak of?
Looking for a provider that does the works, but keeps things simple? That’s TalkTalk to a tee.
What can I get from TalkTalk?
One particularly good thing about TalkTalk is that all prices are fixed for 18 months, so you won’t be hit by any unexpected price increases while your contract is still active.
Here’s what’s available:
It isn’t too hard to guess what you get with a TalkTalk broadband package. It’s pretty much what it says on the tin. It includes line rental and can be bundled with TV, and you get totally unlimited downloads so you can use it as much as you like.
Every package comes with a TalkTalk router, and HomeSafe network level security, which can be set to block sites known to contain viruses, or prevent younger users from accessing inappropriate content.
You also get TalkTalk SuperSafe internet security for one device as standard, with the option to expand the protection to up to eight devices for an additional charge.
TalkTalk fibre optic broadband
Need an internet connection with a bit more welly, but don't want to spend a bomb on it? Have a look at TalkTalk's fibre optic broadband packages. It's available with download speeds up to either 38Mb or 76Mb, and again you get truly unlimited downloads.
And, of course, it comes with line rental, internet security, a TalkTalk router, and the option to add TV too.
If you want TV, broadband and phone services all together, TalkTalk’s a great way to get that at a low price. It’s based around the YouView set top box, which combines Freeview TV with streaming on demand services and catch-up TV. You can choose either standard TV, or upgrade to TV Plus.
One great thing about TalkTalk TV is that it’s flexible. If you want extra channels, Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for example, you can get what TalkTalk calls a ‘TV Boost’. These are available on a rolling monthly basis, so if at any point you decide you don’t want those channels anymore, you can simply cancel them.
Available boosts include TV Select (which gives you extra entertainment channels) and the Kids Boost (which gives you a bunch of kids' TV channels). You can also get Sky Cinema for blockbuster movies, Sky Sports, and BT Sport through TalkTalk TV.
TalkTalk home phone
All TalkTalk broadband includes a landline. If you regularly use your home phone, you may also want to add a more comprehensive call plan to your package. TalkTalk gives you a few options, including anytime calls and cheaper ways to make international calls.
What’s good about TalkTalk?
- Specialises in simple and affordable broadband and TV packages
- One of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK
- Unlimited broadband - perfect for large families or heavy users who want peace of mind that they can use the internet as much as they like
- Superfast fibre packages perfect for streaming movies and TV online, downloading music, and gaming
- Prices fixed for 18 months - no sudden increases
- TV is very flexible - can add extra channels on a monthly basis, and cancel extras at any time
- Sky channels, including Sky One, Sky Arts and Sky Living included with Plus TV packages, or as a monthly add-on otherwise
- Sky Sports and Sky Cinema available as add-ons
- Can access Netflix, and subscription can be included as part of your TalkTalk bill if you wish
- TV2Go app included with all TV packages - lets you watch on-demand content and some live channels on smartphone and tablet (requires Wi-Fi connection)
- HomeSafe network-level security included as standard with all broadband packages - blocks sites known to contain viruses, and restricts access to adult material you may not want your kids to see
- Special offers and exclusive deals regularly available
- Full internet security for one device included with all packages - and you can upgrade for wider protection
What’s bad about TalkTalk?
- TalkTalk fibre optic broadband is unavailable in some areas - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- TalkTalk TV has fewer channels than Sky or Virgin Media
- Can’t record TV with the basic TV package
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom customer satisfaction data
See our full TalkTalk review for more.
Other providers like TalkTalk
Want to compare your options? Have a look at our guides to other broadband and TV services as well: