Is TalkTalk broadband and TV anything to speak of?
Looking for a provider that does the works, but keeps things simple? That’s (www.TalkTalk.co.uk) to a tee.
Its broadband and TV bundles are some of the most affordable in the UK, and come jam-packed with great features, including Sky Entertainment channels, on demand box sets and more.
What can I get from TalkTalk?
Every package comes with a TalkTalk router, a free SIM with 500MB data, and HomeSafe network level security, which can be set to block sites known to contain viruses, or prevent younger users from accessing inappropriate content.
You also get TalkTalk SuperSafe internet security for one device as standard, with the option to expand the protection to up to eight devices for an additional charge.
One particularly good thing about TalkTalk is that all prices are fixed for 18 months, so you won’t be hit by any unexpected price increases while your contract is still active.
Here’s what’s available:
TalkTalk Broadband deals
It isn’t too hard to guess what you get with a TalkTalk broadband package. It’s pretty much what it says on the tin. All include line rental and can be bundled with TV, but the basic broadband options are as follows:
- Fast broadband: Up to 17Mb broadband with unlimited monthly downloads, and the option to add a call plan. Also includes a free mobile SIM with 500MB data a month.
- Faster Fibre Broadband up to 38Mb: Superfast fibre optic broadband with unlimited downloads and the option to add a call plan. Also includes a free mobile SIM with 500MB data a month.
- Faster Fibre Broadband up to 76Mb: TalkTalk’s fastest broadband. Gives you unlimited downloads, and you can add on a phone plan if you want call time. You also get a free mobile SIM with 500MB data a month.
TalkTalk broadband and TV bundles
If you want TV, broadband and phone services all together, TalkTalk’s a great way to get that at a low price. It’s based around the YouView set top box, which combines Freeview TV with streaming on demand services and catch-up TV.
Here's what's available:
- TV Plus with Fast Broadband: gives you a YouView+ box, which lets you pause and rewind live TV, and record up to 180 hours. Also includes more than 30 extra channels, including Sky entertainment channels like Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts. Also gives you unlimited ADSL broadband with speeds up to 17Mb, and a free mobile SIM, with 200 minutes call time, unlimited texts and 500MB data a month.
- TV with Fast Broadband: As above, only with a stripped-down, but cheaper, YouView box that lets you access the full range of on-demand content, pause and rewind live TV, but not record. It doesn’t include the additional entertainment channels, but these can be added as a boost later.
- TV Plus with Faster Fibre Broadband: includes a YouView+ box, which lets you pause and rewind live TV, and record up to 180 hours too. Also gives you more than 30 extra channels, including Sky entertainment channels like Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Arts. Then, you get superfast fibre optic broadband - either up to 38Mb or 76Mb - and a free mobile SIM, with 200 minutes call time, unlimited texts and 500MB data a month.
- TV with Fast Broadband: As above, but with the cheaper YouView box. You can still watch loads of on-demand shows, as well as pause and rewind 30 mins of live TV, but you have to sacrifice recording functionality for the lower price.
One great thing about TalkTalk TV is that it’s flexible. If you want extra channels, Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for example, you can get what TalkTalk calls a ‘TV Boost’. These are available on a rolling monthly basis, so if at any point you decide you don’t want those channels anymore, you can simply cancel them.
TalkTalk TV also has tons of on-demand content, including catch-up from major Freeview channels, movies, box sets and more. You can get Netflix too, and even work the subscription for the streaming movie service into your monthly TalkTalk bill.
For a full lowdown of what you can get with TalkTalk TV, check out our complete guide.
Phone plan add-ons
If you regularly use your home phone, you may also want to add a call plan to your package. TalkTalk gives you a few options:
- Unlimited UK calls: inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobile phones, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Bear in mind, you’ll have to pay standard rates if a call lasts more than 60 minutes, so remember to hang up and redial if you’re the super-chatty type.
- International Saver: discounted call rates to several international regions.
- International Extra: 500 landline minutes to 50 countries, including France, Germany, Spain Australia, India, the USA and more.
- International Max: 1,000 landline minutes and mobile calls to 50 countries, including France, Germany, Spain, Australia, India, the USA and more.
Check out our guide to TalkTalk phone for more details.
TalkTalk’s plans are pretty competitive, with free calls to TalkTalk mobiles and landlines and generous amounts of data. The provider also has a decent variety of mobiles available on pay monthly contracts - ranging from flagship handsets to quality affordable phones.
What’s good about TalkTalk?
- Specialises in simple and affordable broadband and TV packages
- One of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK
- Unlimited broadband - perfect for large families or heavy users who want peace of mind that they can use the internet as much as they like
- Superfast fibre packages perfect for streaming movies and TV online, downloading music, and gaming
- Prices fixed for 18 months - no sudden increases
- Most flexible TV package in the UK - can add extra channels on a monthly basis, and cancel extras at any time
- Sky channels, including Sky One, Sky Arts and Sky Living included with Plus TV packages, or as a monthly add-on otherwise
- Sky Sports and Sky Cinema available as add-ons
- Can access Netflix, and subscription can be included as part of your TalkTalk bill if you wish
- TV2Go app included with all TV packages - lets you watch on-demand content and some live channels on smartphone and tablet (requires Wi-Fi connection)
- Talk2Go app included with all TalkTalk packages - make calls from your mobile at cheaper landline rates
- Free mobile sim, with 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data a month, with Plus TV package
- HomeSafe network-level security included as standard with all broadband packages - blocks sites known to contain viruses, and restricts access to adult material you may not want your kids to see
- Special offers and exclusive deals regularly available
- Full internet security for one device included with all packages - and you can upgrade for wider protection
What’s bad about TalkTalk?
- TalkTalk fibre optic broadband is unavailable in some areas - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- TalkTalk TV has fewer channels than Sky or Virgin Media
- Mobile plans only available if you're a broadband and home phone customer
- Not a lot of choice when it comes to mobile - casual mobile users may be able to save money with monthly allowances or pay-as-you-go plans from other providers
- Can’t record TV with the basic TV package
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom customer satisfaction data