Changing your home phone provider can be a bit of a faff, but luckily TalkTalk (www.talktalk.co.uk) likes to keep things simple. Not only is it affordable, it cuts out all the complicated bits and presents one simple solution: line rental with broadband, and the option to add a few extras if you need to. Let’s take a closer look.
What can I get with TalkTalk phone?
There’s just one home phone package available from TalkTalk - basic line rental with pay-as-you-go calls.
A few extra calling features are included at no extra cost: voicemail, caller display, call divert, call waiting, ringback, reminder call, and three-way calling.
However, if you’ve got a chatty household, you can add ‘Boosts’ to your plan. These are bundles of extra features that work on a rolling monthly basis, so you can add and remove them whenever you want. The phone Boosts that TalkTalk offers are:
- Unlimited UK Calls - Gives you unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles at any time
- International Saver - Gives you discounted rates on calls to a ton of international destinations
- International Extra - Gives you 1000 inclusive minutes per month to landlines in 50 countries
- International Max - Same as International Extra, except you can call mobile numbers too
Anytime calls are only good for 60 minutes, so remember to hang up before the hour is up and phone back again.
TalkTalk line rental unfortunately isn’t available on its own - only as part of a bundle with broadband. Use our postcode checker to see if you can get it in your area.
What’s good about TalkTalk phone?
- Specialises in simple, affordable packages so there’s no complication
- Widely available, since it uses BT’s Openreach network
- TalkTalk is ‘triple-play’ so you can bundle line rental with broadband, and TV
- Can call mobile numbers at cheaper rates than other providers - and TalkTalk is one of the few to cover mobile numbers in its inclusive calls
- Flexible Boosts can be added and removed at any time
- Boosts available for cheaper international calls
What’s bad about TalkTalk phone?
- Very little choice of packages - in fact, there’s only one package
- Landline-only isn’t available - can only get home phone in a bundle with broadband
- No options for cheaper evening or weekend calls
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom stats
- Options for calling features aren’t very flexible - it’s basically all or nothing
What else does TalkTalk do?
Read all about everything that TalkTalk offers along with home phone: