About TalkTalk fibre broadband
Want a superfast package that won’t break the bank? TalkTalk (www.talktalk.co.uk) may be the provider for you. It’s one of the cheapest in the UK, and committed to offering affordable and simple packages.
As well as phone, TV, and standard internet, it also offers superfast fibre broadband - and it comes with blistering speeds some good features, like unlimited downloads.
What can I get from TalkTalk fibre?
If it’s speedy fibre broadband you’re looking for, TalkTalk has three kinds to offer you:
- Faster Fibre - 35Mb average speeds
- Faster Fibre - with average speeds of 63Mb
- Ultrafast Fibre Broadband - Faster 150 Fibre plan (average download speeds of 140Mb and 25Mb upload); Faster 300 Fibre plan (average download speeds of 290Mb and 40Mb upload)
All three include unlimited downloads, so you can surf, play, and download as much as you want without worrying about usage caps.
HomeSafe network security is included as standard too, so you can block sites known to contain viruses or adult sites you don’t want the kids to see. As it’s network-level, it applies to all devices that connect to your line, from laptops to tablets to phones.
Since the broadband connection relies on a TalkTalk phone line, you’ll get that too, with free calls to other TalkTalk customers and the option to upgrade
You can even get your internet and phone as part of a bundle with TV as well - or if you already have a TalkTalk package, you can upgrade it to include fibre whenever you want. TalkTalk TV uses YouView, with on-demand shows delivered over the web, and fibre optic broadband’s perfect for this - faster speeds give you a smoother, more consistent experience.
TalkTalk broadband and phone can both have ‘boosts’ added on as well, such as the International Calls Boost, or the Super Safe Boost, which gives you antivirus software for an even more secure internet connection.
To find out which deals are available in your area, use our postcode checker to see what your options are.
What’s good about TalkTalk fibre?
- Superfast average speeds - 35Mb or 63Mb depending on package
- Specialises in being affordable, and is one of the cheapest broadband providers in the UK
- HomeSafe security included with all broadband packages, which blocks sites known to contain viruses and restricts access to adult material you don’t want the kids to see
- Unlimited downloads with all packages
- WiFi Hub - developed specifically to work best with the TalkTalk network; tailors speeds based on specific device
- Can include fibre broadband as part of a bundle with TV and phone
- Can upgrade your existing package to include fibre if you’re already with TalkTalk
- Special offers and exclusive deals are often available
What’s bad about TalkTalk fibre?
- Not available everywhere - use our postcode checker to see if you can get fibre where you are
- TalkTalk broadband relies on a TalkTalk phone line which may need to be installed, which can be a bit of a hassle and incurs an extra fee
- Faster speeds are available from other providers, such as Virgin Media and Hyperoptic
- Long contracts - 18 months is the shortest contract available
- Weaker customer service compared to other providers, according to Ofcom’s figures last year
How does it compare?
TalkTalk fibre has similar speeds to the likes of BT Superfast Fibre (formerly known as BT Infinity), usually at a much more affordable price - although it favours simplicity, so you’ll find a wider range of options from BT when it comes to broadband deals. Their TV packages aren’t too different, however, especially as both use YouView, but with TalkTalk you’ll have more flexibility in the form of Boosts. Read more: BT vs TalkTalk
It’s a similar deal with Sky fibre as well - TalkTalk is cheaper but with fewer options and a lot less TV. There’s more in the way of extras from Sky too, like free access to public Wi-Fi hotspots.
Virgin Media fibre is less widely available, since it runs on its own cable network, but offers higher average speeds - its fastest fibre package has average download speeds of 362Mb. You’ll also get better tech in your router. And again, TV bundles are more comprehensive from Virgin Media.
Broadband from Plusnet is fairly similar to TalkTalk’s in terms of price, download speeds, and the simplicity of its packages. The key difference comes in its bundling options: TalkTalk offers more in the way of TV, and it has mobile deals under its belt as well. Read more: TalkTalk vs Plusnet
For more info and the complete lowdown on what we think, take a look at our full TalkTalk broadband review.
What else does TalkTalk do?
Take a look at the other services TalkTalk has to offer: