Can Virgin Media give your business some va-va-voom?
Read on and we'll walk you through exactly what you can get, what's good and bad about the provider, and how to find the best deal. That way, you'll be able to make an informed decision about whether or not it's right for your company.
Virgin Media Business broadband packages
Small and medium-sized businesses can choose between two primary package types from Virgin Media. Here they are:
Essential Business Internet
Gives you download speeds of up to 50Mb, upload speeds of up to 5Mb, unlimited downloads, Hitron Wi-Fi router and up to 72-hour fault response. What's great about this package is that you don't have to pay line rental, making it really affordable, though you can add a phone line on if you also want calls (see below for more on Virgin Media business phone lines).
All said, it's decent value, but this package really is basic, giving you the bare essentials and not much more. It's an option that will best best suit sold traders or companies with only a few workers in the office.
This type of package gives you an ultrafast connection of up to 350Mb, upload speeds of up to 20Mb, and up to 12 hour fault response. It's appropriate for small businesses with an office, or growing companies of up to 250 people.
There are three Voom bundles available - all are 24 month contracts:
- Voom Fibre Option 1 - up to 350Mb download speeds, 7Mb upload speeds, unlimited downloads, Hitron Wi-Fi router, 48-hour fault response. Good for small businesses with multiple employees that need a robust internet setup.
- Voom Fibre Option 2 - gives you all of the above, plus 15Mb upload speeds, a single static IP, and up to 24-hour fault response. You can also add extras, such as faster upload speeds, and more static IPs. It's a good choice for companies that want remote access and to host sites.
- Voom Fibre Option 3 - gives you everything in Option 1, plus 20Mb upload speeds, up to five static IPs, and 24-hour fault response. Pay a bit more and you can also add up to 13 more static IPs and reduce fault response time. This is one for suitable for multiple hosted services, and will likely suit medium-sized businesses best.
Whichever package you pick, you'll also be able to bundle in a phone line and call plan. These are quite flexible, so most SMEs should be able to build a phone and internet service that fits their business specifically.
Virgin Media phone lines
Virgin Media phone lines can be added to any business broadband package. As standard, you get a few useful features, including:
- Call restriction
- 24/7 customer support
- Unlimited inclusive calls with Voom and phone bundles
- Excellent service level agreement (SLA) with credit for outages and technical errors
- Keep your old phone number
You can also add functions for an additional monthly charge. These include:
- Auto call back
- Call waiting
- 3-way calls
- Caller display
- Call diversion
- Last number redial
- Anonymous caller rejection
Virgin Media managed internet access
Larger companies - or those that are reliant on the internet - may want to invest in a managed internet access package. This is a leased line - a dedicated connection that you don't have to share, with much greater bandwidth and reliable download and upload speeds.
These managed packages are customisable, so you can tweak the details to suit your needs; internet connections are closely monitored by Virgin Media; and you'll even have your own service relationship manager to look after you.
Of course, this comes at a price - managed internet access packages are quite a bit more expensive than those aimed at smaller businesses.
Unfortunately, you can't compare leased lines through broadbandchoices - they're bespoke to your business, so it would be tricky. Your best bet if you want to find out more is to head over to Virgin Media's website.
Can I get Virgin Media business broadband in my area?
Virgin Media uses its own network rather than sharing another company's. As a result, it has a smaller coverage footprint than many business broadband providers. The best way to find out if you can get it in your area is to enter your postcode on broadbandchoices.co.uk. We'll check packages in your area and show you what you can get.
What's good about Virgin Media Business?
- Wide range of options to suit businesses of most sizes
- Very fast speeds on Voom packages
- Managed internet access lines are even faster
- Unlimited downloads on all packages
- Good service level agreement
- Static IPs available on some packages
- Flexible - can add on extras to build the package you want
- Fast fault response
What's bad about Virgin Media Business?
- Not available everywhere - use a postcode checker to make sure you can get it
- Less coverage than other providers like BT
- Packages can get expensive when you start adding extras
- Packages only available on 24-month contracts