With so many line rental deals and call packages to choose from, we’re here to help you pick the right one. Below, we’ve listed providers who offer home deals, as well as reveal the best ways to save money on your phone bill…
Which providers offer home phone deals?
Along with broadband and TV, most providers - like BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media - offer home phone deals too, and it’s almost always cheaper to get your broadband, phone and TV together from one provider than separately from different ones.
Here's what each has to offer:
- BT - Get a classic BT phone line, or add broadband, fibre optic BT Superfast Fibre (formerly BT Infinity), or BT TV on top. If you take BT line rental on its own with no other services, however, there's a decent discount attached.
- Post Office - You can get Post Office HomePhone for some of the cheapest line rental around, or add low-cost broadband too - including fibre broadband.
- Sky - Sky Talk is available with tons of features, extras, and inclusive calls options to choose from. And, of course, you can add broadband, Sky Fibre, or Sky TV as well.
- Virgin Media - Get a Virgin phone line on its own, or spring for a bundle with its superfast broadband or TiVo telly.
How do I pick the best phone deals?
These are three main things to consider when comparing home phone deals:
- Line rental - The monthly amount you pay for your landline is usually the most substantial part of your bill. Post Office and Plusnet are two providers that offer relatively cheap line rental.
- Inclusive calls - Evening and weekend calls to UK landlines are usually included as standard, and you can upgrade to anytime. If you often call friends or family abroad, you can add inclusive international calls too.
- Should you bundle? - Avoid taking your home phone, broadband and TV from different providers - bundles are virtually always the best deal if you want all three and mean you have just the one bill to keep on top of.
Cheap line rental
If you’re after a cheap phone line, there are providers like Plusnet that specialise in low-cost home phone packages. But before you plump for a cheap broadband deals, think about why you need it.
For example, cheap line rental is pointless if you end up spending more than you’re saving on calls that aren’t included in your package. On the other hand, if you don’t make a lot of calls, it makes sense to look for the cheapest deal.
How can I save money on my phone bill?
To avoid running up phone bills, you can pay upfront for inclusive calls, so you can make calls at specific times of day, to mobiles, or to international numbers, without paying anything extra.
Look at an old phone bill to see when you make calls. Even the cheapest packages normally include evening and weekend calls to UK landlines. And remember, if you want phone and broadband, it’s usually cheaper to get both - and TV if you want that as well - from one provider that does the lot.
Can I get unlimited phone calls?
You can upgrade a lot of home phone packages to include unlimited calls at any time of the day or week. Quite a few providers have this option available, including BT, EE, NOW Broadband, Post Office, Sky, TalkTalk, and more. It only costs a few more quid per month, and it's totally worth it if you make a lot of calls.
To find these deals, enter your postcode above, and select 'Inclusive anytime calls' from the phone call filter.
Which providers offer home phone and broadband deals?
Pretty much every broadband provider gives you a phone line with its internet packages too. It's really easy to find a deal that includes both services, and you can still add whatever calling features and inclusive calls you need.
Plus, if you want both, you have an even bigger choice of providers. Along with those we listed above, these ones also offer home phone as part of a bundle with broadband:
…and many more. Just click through to see what you can get from each one, or compare everything available in your area by using our postcode checker.
Can I get home phone, broadband, and TV deals?
Why not take it one step further, and get pay-TV package from your home phone provider too? You can get three-in-one bundles that include home phone, broadband, and TV all together as a single service, from providers including Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, and NOW TV.
Are there special landline deals for pensioners?
Yes there are, but only from a couple of providers. BT Basic, for instance, is a special tier of landline services for folks on various benefits, including a pension credit.
There aren't as many options available here, however. If you want to make a lot of calls during the day, you may be better off with a standard home phone deal.
For more information about broadband and phone deals for pensioners, take a look at our handy guide.