As murmurs about a new range of handsets from Samsung circulate around the web, we look at what pundits are calling its ‘budget’ smartphone - the aptly named, Galaxy S10 Lite. At least, that’s what we’re calling it.
Apple made a smart move when it released the iPhone XR in 2018. Put simply, the Californian tech giant delivered a powerful and gorgeous looking phone, minus the hefty price-tag of its counterparts.
It seems only proper, then, that Samsung should offer a similar attraction with its latest smartphone range.
Indeed, dubbed by internet pundits as the Samsung S10e (or S10 Lite), this so-called budget smartphone is set to be just as impressive as the more expensive, and feature-packed S10 and S10 Plus. But as its release date draws nearer, what specific features can we expect?
Best buy deals
- 4GB of 4G data
- Unlimited minutes
- Unlimited texts
- £238.99 device cost
- Free BT Sport and Apple Music
24 month contract From MobilePhonesDirect.co.uk
- £23.00 per month
In terms of size, the Samsung S10 Lite is rumoured to be 5.8 inch - the smallest of the three phones scheduled for release around the same time.
We also expect a crystal clear, AMOLED screen and edge-to-edge display with super tough, Corning Gorilla Glass 5. And, if leaked images are anything to go by, Samsung is moving away from that nasty notch, instead opting for a pinhole camera at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Finally, the phone is rumoured to use Android 9.0 Pie operating system; the same as its predecessor - the Samsung Galaxy S9.
Specs and features
- Processor - according to some reports, the Samsung S10 Lite will use a powerful Quantum 855 chip, the same kind as the S10 and the S10 Plus. However, as this is rumoured to be a budget handset, Samsung may choose to cut costs. To that end, an Exynos chip might be more likely. It could go either way!
- Camera - the S10 Lite will likely sport a dual 16MP ultra-wide and 12MP zoom camera at the back and a single camera at the front. If true, this means it’ll have one less camera at the back than the S10 and S10 Plus. This might be a downer for some, but we still expect plenty of great features for the price tag.
- Embedded finger print scanner - although we can’t say for sure whether the S10 Lite will boast an embedded fingerprint scanner, we think it unlikely. Given the embedded scanner is touted as one of the most exciting new features in the S10 range, Samsung could well save it exclusively for the S10 and S10 Plus. Still, it might just surprise us. Report back to this page in a few weeks for more information.
- Battery and storage - in terms of battery, we’re hearing reports of a 3,100mAh battery, though nothing has been confirmed yet. There’s also talk of wireless charging which, if correct, would be a welcomed feature indeed. Memory-wise, the S10 Lite will pack 128GB of storage and 6GB of RAM.
- Galaxy Buds - brilliantly, some experts believe Samsung will throw in a set of its new wireless earphones called Galaxy Buds with the S10 Lite. Of course, seeing as this device is purportedly Samsung's budget handset, it might well save the Galaxy Buds for its more expensive handsets, but it might just surprise us, too.
According to rumors, the phone will go on sale March 8, with pre-orders expected to begin immediately after it's official announcement on February 20.
As soon as the phone has been officially announced by Samsung, you’ll be able to find deals here on broadbandchoices. Simply head over to our website as soon as the phone is slated to start comparing the best deals.
As we say, the Samsung S10 Lite is expected to be the cheaper of Samsung’s new releases - most leakers reckon you’ll be able to pick one up for between £500 and £600.
Given all the rumours, the Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite could be an impressive handset indeed; ideal for anyone looking for less bezel, increased battery life and a more manageable price-tag.
As with most brands, the release of a new flagship handset will often mean some great deals on older models. To that end, if you’re after another Samsung phone with a lot to offer, why not check out some great deals on the Samsung Galaxy S9?