Sky offers a good range of standard and fibre broadband, with speeds going up to an ultrafast 900Mbps, as well as guaranteed speeds and unlimited usage. And with Sky Talk, there's an good choice of calls packages and features too. Read on as we take a closer look...
Sky broadband and phone packages
Sky offers a decent range of broadband packages. All include a phone line with pay as you go calls as standard, with the option to add a calls package for an extra monthly charge.
Choose any of Sky's fibre packages and you'll get Sky's Speed Guarantee – see the FAQs below for more information.
Your options are:
- Sky Broadband Essential – Sky's cheapest package gets you a standard broadband service with average speeds of 11 Mbps. It's best suited to people who live alone or with one other person
- Sky Broadband Superfast 35 – fibre-optic broadband with average speeds of 36Mbps, available to 96% of the UK
- Sky Broadband Superfast – widely available superfast fibre service that features average speeds of 59Mbps. It's ideal for large families or multiple-occupancy shared homes
- Sky Broadband Ultrafast – moving into faster territory, this gets you average speeds of 145Mbps – great for online gamers. The catch is that it's less widely available than Sky's superfast service, as it uses ‘Fibre to the premises’ (FTTP) technology
- Sky Broadband Ultrafast Plus – average speeds of 500Mbps, but again, not as widely available
- Sky Broadband Gigafast – the latest and greatest of Sky’s services, this gets you top-of-the-range speeds of 900Mbps
All Sky broadband packages come with unlimited usage. So you’re free to use the internet as you please, whether that’s streaming, gaming or downloading large files, without worrying about your connection being slowed down.
And they’re all available on 18-month contracts.
What can I get from Sky Talk?
Sky Talk Packages
When you sign up for Sky broadband and phone packages, you get a basic Pay As You Talk line rental as standard. That means you only pay for the calls you make, which is good news if you don't use your landline much.
However, if you think you'll be making calls regularly or you'll be calling abroad, you'll want to upgrade your calls package. At the time of writing (June 2022), your options are:
- Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra – for an extra £5 per month, you get unlimited evening and weekend calls to UK mobiles and landlines
- Sky Talk Anytime Extra – for £12 a month, you get inclusive calls to UK landlines 24/7, plus international calls at 2p per minute to 22 different countries
- Sky Talk International Extra – for £14 a month, you get unlimited inclusive calls to UK mobiles and landlines, as well as 50 worldwide destinations
As with Sky’s broadband packages, all Talk plans are available on 18-month contracts.
The UK landline calls include numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03, and 0870, for calls of up to an hour – so remember to hang up before 60 minutes are up and phone back.
All Sky Talk packages include 1471 and 141 features, with the option to activate caller display and automatic number withhold for free as well.
Sky calling features
For an extra cost per month, you can add some other calling features to your plan too. They include:
- Standard Voicemail
- Voicemail Plus – to record a personal greeting, store more messages and listen to your messages from any phone
- Call divert
- Call waiting
- Three-way calling
- Ring back
- Last caller barring
- Anonymous caller reject
- Reminder call
Your phone can also send and receive landline texts, though it’ll cost a few pennies each time.
Sky Talk is pretty widely available, but use our postcode checker to see exactly what you can get at your address.
Sky Broadband Boost
For an extra charge of £5 a month, you can add Sky Broadband Boost to any Sky fibre broadband package.
It improves the quality of your service, and you get:
- Engineer visits at any time – and for no extra charge even at evenings and weekends
- Daily line checks to monitor the quality of your service, with instant engineer help if there’s a fault
- Sky Broadband Buddy app, which allows you to apply extensive parental controls from your smartphone or tablet
- Guaranteed Wi-Fi of at least 3Mbps in every room of your house, or your money back
- Free upgrade to Sky’s latest router, if you don’t already have it
- Sky Mobile customers can get 2GB of data in their Sky Mobile Piggybank if their broadband drops out
Like other Sky services, Sky Broadband Boost also comes with an 18-month contract.
Our latest Sky broadband & landline deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What’s good about Sky Talk?
- Sky is a ‘quad-play’ provider, so you can bundle your landline with broadband, TV and mobile
- Runs on the Openreach network, so there’s very wide availability
- International calling options are pretty good
- Good customer service and satisfaction record, according to Ofcom's 2022 report
What’s bad about Sky Talk?
- Extra calling features are expensive, with no bundling options for reduced rates
- Sky doesn’t offer a free smartphone app to home phone customers like BT and TalkTalk do
- Not the cheapest line rental around (though it's not the most expensive either)
Can I get a Sky landline without broadband?
Not anymore. Although Sky used to offer landline-only deals, at the time of writing (June 2022) it seems you can only get Sky Talk as part of a Sky Broadband deal.
Can I get Sky broadband without a landline?
No – all Sky broadband packages come with line rental included.
Don't want a home phone? Take a look at our pick of best broadband only deals.
What is Sky Pay as You Talk?
As its name suggests, Pay as You Talk means you'll only pay for the calls you make. So it's just another way of saying pay as you go.
All Sky broadband and phone bundles feature Pay as You Talk calls as standard, with the option to add a calls package for an additional monthly charge.
What is Sky's Speed Guarantee?
Exclusive to Sky's fibre broadband deals, the Speed Guarantee is Sky's pledge that entitles you to money back if your speed dips below the Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed that you were told when you signed up.
Under the terms of the guarantee, you'll qualify if your speeds dip below the minimum for three consecutive days in a 30-day period.