Gigaclear specialises in providing hard-to-reach areas with some of the fastest full fibre internet connections on the market. Read our page for more on this rural-only provider.
Launched in 2010, Gigaclear aims to provide rural communities with the same strong and reliable broadband that can be found in major cities.
While most providers use BT’s Openreach network, Gigaclear operates its own ‘fibre-to-the-premises’ (FTTP) network. That way, it can provide hard-to-reach areas with superfast and ultrafast internet connections.
It’s currently focused in areas in the South West, South East and Midlands, however. But if you’re able to get it at your postcode, you can take advantage of some of the fastest speeds on the market.
What broadband deals can I get from Gigaclear?
Gigaclear offers a range of superfast, ultrafast and hyperfast broadband packages:
- Superfast 100 – average download speeds of 100Mbps
- Superfast 200 – average download speeds of 200Mbps
- Ultrafast 500 – average download speeds of 500Mbps
- Ultrafast 600 – average download speeds of 600Mbps
- Hyperfast 900 – average download speeds of 830Mbps
They’re all available on 18-month contracts and come without any one-off connection or installation fees.
Price-wise, they’re fairly reasonable for the speeds you get, and are in line with comparable packages from other providers. And you can take advantage of special time-limited deals – for example, during Black Friday – to bring down your monthly outlay even further.
However, you’ll need to pay some pretty steep price hikes once your contract’s minimum term is up. For instance, at the time of writing (November 2022), the Superfast 200 deal comes in at £17 a month – but this rises to £40 a month once the 18-month contract is finished.
So, it’s best to compare broadband packages and shop around for a new deal once your contract is up.
Which are the best Gigaclear broadband deals?
The best Gigaclear broadband deal for you largely depends on what internet speed you need. Chances are, Gigaclear’s fastest package may not be necessary for your household, and you’d be better off with a slower and cheaper package.
Things to consider when choosing a broadband deal include:
- How many people will share the connection – the more people using the internet at the same time, the slower the connection will be for everyone. The faster the package, the better your experience will be. Fortunately, Gigaclear's packages are all good enough to support multiple users, but larger households may want to opt for a speedier package
- Whether you want to watch 4K video – some streaming platforms have the option to watch videos in 4K Ultra HD resolution, and even 8K. That visual quality requires a very fast, stable connection – and that's exactly what Gigaclear provides
- How much of a gamer you are – the faster your broadband, the better it will be for gaming. As well as playing online, you may be downloading updates, extra content, and even full games. So, a speedier connection means you can spend less time waiting and more time playing. Find out more with our gaming page
- How much you can afford – try to balance the speed of the package with the amount you’re willing to pay – there’s no need to shell out for the most expensive deal if a cheaper one suits you just fine. If you find it's still too much, compare broadband deals from other providers to see if you can find a more suitable deal elsewhere
How reliable is Gigaclear broadband?
As Gigaclear’s network is pure fibre, using ‘fibre-to-the-premises’ (FTTP) technology, it can provide extremely speedy and reliable internet connections. And it’s faster and stronger than the more common ‘fibre-to-the-cabinet’ (FTTC) broadband.
Moreover, Gigaclear offers symmetrical upload and download speeds. This means upload speeds are just as fast as download speeds – which comes in handy if you’re making video calls, hosting a live stream, or uploading videos to social media.
Visit our page for more on FTTP vs FTTC broadband.
Can I bundle Gigaclear broadband with TV?
Yes, you can. While Gigaclear doesn’t provide its own TV service or set-top box, it does offer an exclusive Gigaclear full fibre + Sky Entertainment & Netflix package.
This deal gets you 100 channels not on Freeview, more than 500 box sets, and a Netflix subscription – all via the Sky Q set-top box.
At the time of writing (November 2022), a Gigaclear broadband and TV deal starts from £39 a month.
Can I get a landline with Gigaclear broadband?
Yes – Gigaclear offers its own home phone service, which can be added to your broadband plan.
For an extra charge every month, you can opt for one of Gigaclear’s phone plans:
- Evenings and Weekends
- Evenings and Weekends PLUS
- Anytime PLUS
All these plans come with a host of useful features, including voicemail, call divert and premium call blocking.
And they all work on rolling one-month contracts, meaning you’re free to change or cancel whenever you want.
It’s worth mentioning that Gigaclear doesn’t use traditional copper cables to provide its phone service. Instead, it uses your home broadband to deliver a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service.
Advantages of VoIP include clearer sound and (usually) more reliable calls. However, if there’s a power outage in your area, you won’t be able to use your home phone. So, Gigaclear recommends against getting its home phone service if you’re reliant on your landline, and don’t have alternative means to contact emergency services in the event of a power cut.
Can I get Gigaclear fibre optic broadband?
Whether you can get Gigaclear fibre optic broadband depends on where you live.
Gigaclear primarily serves rural communities, and is currently mainly found in areas in the South West, South East and Midlands. However, it’s working on expanding to more rural locations across the UK.
The easiest way to see if Gigaclear is available in your area is to use our postcode checker. We'll show you all the deals you can get and how much they cost.
What speeds can I get with Gigaclear broadband?
Gigaclear specialises in full fibre broadband, so you’ll be able to get top speeds ranging between 100Mbps and 830Mbps.
With speeds like these, you’ll be able to comfortably stream movies, online game and video call – all at the same time, on multiple devices.
Of course, if you’re a light user or living in a small household, you might not need speeds of 100Mbps and above. In which case, we’d recommend you look at options from other providers (see below).
Alternative broadband providers
Want to weigh up your options first? You can check out other providers, including: