My broadband provider lets me pay for a whole year’s worth of line rental upfront, right now. Should I go for it? Is this a good deal?
Bob T, via email
Our expert Kim says...
The option to pay a whole year's worth of line rental upfront - often known as 'line rental saver' - is offered by quite a few broadband providers. It means you pay a lump sum when you sign up, then get significantly lower bills each month.
A tiny handful of providers even let you pay for a whole year of broadband itself upfront.
Today's best broadband deals
|Broadband Unlimited||Fast Broadband||Unlimited Broadband||Unlimited Broadband||Unlimited Infinity 1 + Weekend Calls||Unlimited Broadband + Weekend Calls|
|£259.95 Total first year cost||£239.40 Total first year cost||£233.88 Total first year cost||£187.88 Total first year cost||£443.87 Total first year cost||£247.00 Total first year cost|
|£20.00 p/m for 12 months £19.95 setup costs 12 month contract||£19.95 p/m for 12 months 12 month contract||£19.49 p/m for 12 months 12 month contract||£18.99 p/m for 12 months £10.00 setup costs 12 month contract||£31.99 p/m for 12 months £59.99 setup costs 12 month contract||£20.00 p/m for 18 months £7.00 setup costs 18 month contract|
|Up To 17 Mb||Up To 17 Mb||Up To 17 Mb||Up To 17 Mb||Up To 52 Mb||Up To 17 Mb|
|Pay as you go||Pay as you go||Pay as you go||Pay as you go||Weekend calls inc.||Weekend calls inc.|
|Offer ends 14/09/17||Offer ends 28/09/17||Offer ends 21/08/17||Offer ends 24/08/17||Offer ends 17/09/17|
Call Sky on 0800 759 1469
Mon to Sun 8am-10pm
Call TalkTalk on 0800 049 7843
Mon to Thurs 8am-10pmFri to Sun 8am-9pm
Call Plusnet on 0808 178 7205
Mon to Fri 8am-8pmSat 9am-7pmSun 9am-6pm
Call BT on 0800 783 5390
Mon to Sun 8am-6.30pm
So to answer your question… is it worth it? Let's take a look at the pros and cons.
- It cuts your monthly bills down by quite a lot, or gets rid of them entirely in some cases.
- Paying upfront usually comes with an extra discount - BT cuts your total by 10%, for instance.
- You'll be immune from any price increases on line rental for the year. (Though not from rises on broadband or other services you add, like TV.)
- It's a lot to pay all in one go - especially if it includes broadband.
- If you move out or switch providers before the year is up, you may be out of pocket.
- It's non-refundable, apart from in special circumstances. Once you've decided to pay upfront, you can't go back to monthly payments until the year is up.
Money-wise, yes, paying for a year's worth of services upfront is totally worth it. You'll likely get a discount, and it lets you skip any price increases for another year.
So long as you can afford to pay it right now, and if you're certain you'll be with this provider for the next 12 months, we say go for it. If not, though, it's better to be cautious and stick with normal monthly bills.