Should First Utility be your first choice?
We often argue that broadband is an essential utility for modern life, just like gas, electricity and water. First Utility would seem to agree - while it's best known as an energy supplier, it also offers its own range of broadband packages.
The lack of setup costs plus a healthy discount for First Utility energy customers will no doubt make the provider an appealing prospect for many, but should it be your first choice? Read on, and we'll take a look at what the provider has to offer, and dive into the pros and cons.
What does First Utility Broadband do?
We always appreciate a broadband provider that keeps things simple, and that's exactly what First Utility does. It sells just three broadband packages:
- First broadband - gives you average download speeds of 11Mb and unlimited downloads. It's best suited for small households of one or two people, who tend to use the web for light browsing, social media and the occasional show on iPlayer or Netflix.
- SuperFirst broadband - gives you superfast download speeds - average 35Mb - with unlimited downloads. It's fibre optic, which is faster and more reliable than the older technology used by the First package above, making it great for browsing, streaming video in HD, and downloading music.
- UltraFirst broadband - gives you average download speeds of 63Mb with unlimited downloads. Not technically fast then, but pretty speedy all the same. It's a good choice for heavy users who download or stream loads of videogames, movies and TV, or very large households with multiple people logging onto the web at once.
All packages include pay as you go calls as standard, but you can add evening and weekend calls, or even unlimited anytime calls, for an additional charge. Whichever plan you pick, all contracts last 18 months, and include the necessary equipment, including router and cables. What's particularly great is that unlike some other providers, for example BT, there are no connection fees whatsoever.
What's more, First Utility promises not to raise prices at the end of your contract. That's good in that you won't be surprised by any sudden price hikes once the 18-month minimum contract term is up. That said, there may well be a better deal available after that time - use our reminder tool to set an alert when you're nearing the end of your contract so you can take a look.
First Utility phone packages
Much like the broadband, First Utility's home phone plans are appealingly straightforward. As standard, everyone has pay as you go calls - you'll pay a set rate per minute depending on whether you call landline or mobile. If you're a bit chattier, you can choose to add any of these call plans onto your broadband package:
- Evening and Weekend Calls Package - inclusive calls from 7pm to 7am Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Anytime Calls Package - exactly as the name implies, inclusive calls any time of day.
- International Calls Package - 600 minutes to landlines and 75% discount on calls to mobiles in 40 countries. In alphabetical order, they are: Australia, Austria, Azores, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Canary Islands, Croatia, China, Cyprus (South), Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and finally the USA.
- Simple, affordable broadband packages
- Totally unlimited downloads on all packages
- Superfast fibre packages available
- No setup costs or router delivery charges
- No post-contract price rises
- Discount for First Utility energy customers
- Fibre optic broadband not available everywhere
- Not the cheapest option for non-energy customers
- No TV packages available
- Phone plans cost extra
First Utility broadband discount for energy customers
If you take energy from First Utility, you'll also get a discount on your broadband. You'll get a personalised quote when you sign up - to find out what it is, click on a deal you like above or the link below, and we'll send you to First Utility website. Log in with your details and you can see how much you'll save.